Chapter Eight: The First Trigger

The human brain is truly complex. A brain's storage capacity is considered virtually unlimited. Brain information travels up to an impressive 268 miles per hour. This is true for a normal person, and well, Kim Rok Soo is beyond normal.

Even without using his ability, Kim Rok Soo is quick-witted and cunning. His survival experience honed his senses to a different level. He reacts accordingly and efficiently and can adapt in any situations. Perhaps, this was why his awakened abilities are in connection to his mind. His ability helps him to go beyond the limits of a human body.

Ever since Kim Rok Soo, now Cale came to this world, he noticed something odd about his ability, Record. At first, he thought that with little use, it was normal that the recoil would be harsh on this young body that he now possesses.

When he started using Record to finish the books in his library, he discovered he can only use Record for no more than thirty minutes, so the recoil could subside naturally. More than that, the body heat will remain for two to three days. It took him a month to solidify this theory. Hence, there was a lot of passing out from overheat while he was reading in the library. This caused the count to stock a bunch of healing potions in Cale's bedroom. Ron also has some potions with all the time. You could see bottles of healing potions in places were Cale frequents in the mansion, in case of emergency.

Although the healing potions wouldn't solve his problem, it did help a little in lessening the body pain cause by the fever so he just let the count and Ron do what they wanted.  

'There's nothing wrong in being pampered, right? Shit! I can't let myself get used to this.' He thought one day while lying on his bed after experiencing another overheat.

Cale had experienced being banned from the library for two weeks. He was practically grounded in his room and, with Ron being with him almost 24-hours a day, sneaking out wasn't an option. Since he learned his lesson, he only used his Record for about ten minutes a day. He seriously didn't want to be stuck in his room with Ron all day. That was why his plan to finish the books in three months, actually took six months.

One day, he was having tea with his family in the garden when his Record activated by itself and played a record repeatedly. He wasn't surprised a record suddenly played in his mind since it was a common occurrence, even before. What had him confused was that the memory being played wasn't his.

According to the memory, a red-haired woman and a brown-haired man are laughing together while having a picnic in the garden. They were both looking at him in the memory, as if he was there. he could clearly hear their voices and could feel the warmth from the sun. After a while, the two people in front of him started tickling him and messed up the food on the blanket. It was a wonderful day and a wonderful memory that played in a loop in his mind.

However, he was sure it wasn't his memory. It was Cale's memory when he was younger. The dormant memory in the body he's possessing seems to be entangling with his own. Deruth noticed his son absentmindedly staring into nothing, but eyes filled with different emotions. He also noticed the beads of sweat forming on his son's forehead, so he called his name.

"Cale."

"..."