Chapter 13

The copies of Wade's ideas had been sent and now, while the tailor seemed to be sketching out their own patterns and ideas based off Wade's, she required measurements as she couldn't take them herself.

Peter had a list of very specific measurements and how to take them, some even with small sketches demonstrating how it is to be measured as well as links with tutorials. He appreciated it, never wanting to make a mistake with something that seemed so important to his patient.

Of course, he had studied and watched said tutorials, attempted to take measurements of his own face for practice so no mistakes were made, so he could fully focus on his patient who seemed to have problems showing his scars but required to do so with this exercise.

The tailor had sent Peter some small cutouts of materials for Wade to touch after Peter let her know how sensitive the skin of the man was- She seemed quite eager to help Wade, happy to let the man, himself, to try out the textiles available to use on the inside of the mask with a promise that he will look “super dope!”.

Walking down the familiar halls, Peter’s walk had a bit of a hop to it, hair bouncing along with his step as a small smile was plastered on his usual calculating face. He couldn’t help but feel as though he was making progress with his patient, even if, by protocol, they hadn’t made any progress at all.
It was a bit of a feeling of doing a side mission in a video game, something that will help you defeat the boss but won’t necessarily be needed, just makes the journey that much easier and enjoyable for you to level up.

Stopping in front of the doors leading to Wade, Peter took a deep breath, mentally preparing for the many outcomes.
It would be ok, Peter… You are good at controlling your expressions, retaining your emotions… Even if Wade’s scars are anything as the Jessica had mentioned, it wasn’t Wade’s fault and they were just scars- Peter had no right to react anything closely to Jessica’s own reaction.

With a deep breath, he knocked on the doors and awaited a bit before slowly opening the door

“Wade?” he called him by his first name to create more familiarity with the other “It’s me, Peter, I am coming in” he announced as he stepped into the room.

Wade was already sat on the table, long sleeved grey shirt on covering his tensed posture, as he already knew what was to come. He had his blanket placed on his lap, most likely for comfort, and would fidget with it in between his gloved fingers.

“Good morning” Peter smiled, attempting to ease the other “Have you eaten yet?” he asked despite knowing the answer

Wade nodded, slow, eyes following every small movement Peter did as if he expected him to rip off the layer on his face.

“That’s good” Peter slowly approached, placing the small bag of contents on the table “The tailor has sent me some fabric for you to feel” he began, hoping it would be a good enough distraction- if not, encouragement to get the measurements done “Would you like to see them now?”

Wade paused, watching Peter instead of the bag that had been placed before him. He nodded.

Smiling gently once again, Peter pulled out a small pouch with textiles cut in the sizes no smaller than credit cards, each with a different texture.
Carefully, he placed each sheet in a line, reading the names that were written on them as he did so, hoping to remember which fabrics his patient liked and disliked.

The larger man watched Peter again, seeming more tense as the other came closer before relaxing slightly when Peter took a seat at last.
Looking down, he began to touch the fabrics, stopping once realization fell upon him that he had to remove his gloves.