Chapter 43

Now that Peter had a car it meant both could get in a few more minutes of sleep which was amazing and not enough for Ellie who groaned as she snuggled her face deeper into her pillow, blanket drawn closer as she heard Peter’s light steps.

“Ellie” Peter called softly but loud enough to wake the girl and Ellie, being the great actor she is, pretended not to hear.

Met with silence, Ellie guessed it worked and allowed herself to attempt to return to her land of dreams where she was riding a unicorn and was about to become hokage-
A dip in the bed caught her attention before long fingers brushed through her bed head lightly

“Ellie, it’s time to wake up”

Damn it. She hated when Peter was so gentle with her, it made her want to do as he says.

“Don’t wanna” She mumbled, turning away from her hello kitty plush to hide her face in Peter’s side sleepily “Too comfortable”

Lifting her hand as Peter chuckled, continuing to brush his fingers through her hair, Ellie began to smack her hand around until she found Peter’s sleeve and began pulling on it, trying to force him to lay down too

“Go back to sleep, Peter” she yawns “it’s still night time”

“Actually it's time for school” Ellie could hear the amusement in his voice

“School isn’t at night time, Petey” she groans

“Exactly, the sun is shining brightly outside, Ellie” Peter allowed her to pull him down, a small laugh escaping him

“That isn’t the sun” Ellie whispers, opening one eye to look at him “You’re dreaming” she says as serious as she can, both eyes open as she stares deep into Peter’s own tired eyes

“Then I suppose I should wake now” he gave a grin in return

“Nooooo” Ellie flopped on top of him “stay asleep!” her fist collided with his stomach lightly, causing the man to breathe out a laugh

“I can’t, Ellie” he says with a small huff “I’m being attacked in my dreams, I must wake…or else…”

“Or else?” Ellie lifts her head to look at Peter’s face

“I have to fight back!” he sits up suddenly, arms wrapped around her to stop her from escaping.
Ellie squeals in surprise, laughing when Peter stands up with her dangling a few inches off the ground.

“Put me down!” She demands, kicking her feet as Peter struggles to keep carrying her as she squirms “Put me do-own!” she giggles.

It’s nice when Peter gets playful like this. Usually he is far too tired from work or seems always afraid to play with Ellie. She liked these types of mornings where Peter was playful like her dad.
Ellie also loved when Peter was gentle with her while doing simple stuff that many wouldn’t pay any mind to or when he takes his time to learn, teach or listen to her.

Her dad had always been caring and open to show how much he loves her but he had also seemed as though always connected to a power output. He seemed hesitant to sit down and just relax like Peter does often (sort of- he sits down and works but that’s relaxing to him apparently) but Ellie remembers once, when she had been pretending to sleep, her dad had sat down by her bed while simply holding her hand- that was the longest time she had seen him sat still.

She’s not saying her daddy didn't try or didn’t love her, not at all. He had stopped brushing her hair from top to bottom in order not to hurt her and tried to get her ponytail as neatly as possible without any experience (she couldn’t be mad, he was bald).
Wade, her dad, would allow her to do anything she wanted and didn't set rules. He taught her self defense and constantly reminded her not to allow anyone to mistreat her, other than that, her dad didn't seem keen on teaching much else, always making sure she was having fun and happy instead- he even made sure his conversations were always kid friendly (with a bit of cuss words slip ups here and there) just for Ellie’s sake.