Chapter 31

Life works in mysterious ways… in Peter’s case it often works against him.

Of course the moment Peter isn’t close to Wade is when he gets the news that the adoption was successful and has been accepted.

“Hi, Peter!” Ellie greets her school bag and a plastic bag at her feet as she swings on the balls of her feet, a bright expression on her face.

“Hello Eleanor” Peter greets back, laughing lightly at her expression at the use of her name “How are you today?” he asked, leaning down to take the bags from her

“I couldn’t sleep last night!” the girl gasped as she hopped down the stairs of the orphanage with glee “I was so excited and I told all the ladies that were mean to me to ‘suck it’ and-“ she began to ramble and Peter listened along, smiling and laughing.

Peter didnt have a car, he never thought he needed it as it would add more costs to his life, but as he got into the taxi he bang to wonder if they’d need one… Sure Ellie could take the bus to her school but it’d be best if he took her, no?

“Ellie” Peter turned to her, watching her bounce in her seat. Pausing, reached forward and put on the seatbelt for her, noticing she hadn’t done so, seeing how she froze, face going red- he frowned, unsure if she was embarrassed or uncomfortable

“sorry” he apologized just in case but she shook her head

“-s okay” she mumbled, fidgeting with her messy hair “I can do it myself though” she said, it was maybe shyness

“I know” Peter smiled, remembering how when he was younger he loved when his aunt babied him despite him insisting he didn't need it.

During the drive they were met with silence, the reality finally dawning on both of them. Peter liked to be quiet, he didn't like talking often because everytime he did, when it didn't have to do with work, he sounded like a babbling idiot…What was he to do if Ellie didn't like it? Didn't like him??

He didn't want to constantly trat Ellie like a patient as he had done his previous friends accidentally- over analyzing their movements and so on like a ‘creep’.

“W-when we get home” he began, fumbling over his words as he began to overthink if he sounded too clinical or not enough “You choose which room you want, alright?” he smiled, sticking with his patient caretaker sona that he got while working at the school “drop your things there and then, if you aren’t tired, we can go shopping”

“Shopping?” Ellie asked, turning her head away from the window

“Yes” Peter nodded “I did basic shopping and we got groceries too but I want to have stuff you like as well” he explained “We’ll get decorations for your room and some food you like, okay?”

Ellie widened her eyes and she nodded slowly, seeming in disbelief. Then, she stared at Peter as if processing something which caused her to frown.

“Is something wrong?” Peter asked with worry

“I don't need anything” she says just as they arrive

“Of course you do” Peter says, placing a hand on her shoulder “You’ll be living here for now, Ellie…You need things to make this your home” he spoke gently glaring at the driver that cleared their throat impatiently

“I don't want you to waste money on me” Ellie whispered, her big brown eyes looking up at him as she frowned

“Oh Ellie” Peter frowned as well before smiling and tucking a hair behind her ear soothingly “no amount of money will ever be wasted on you” he reassured “tell you what…if I cant get you something I’ll let you know, alright?” he tilted his head