Chapter 24

“No” the old woman said slowly as if speaking to a child

“Please” Peter tried again, refusing to leave the seat despite the elderly lady already standing, brushing her veiny hands back to tidy her grey bun in fustration

“I already said no” she repeated, removing her thin glasses to let them hang on her neck with her pearl strings

“I have signed papers by the head of the department” Peter continued to try “He has full permission to get a visit”

“He is crazy” the lady turned her sharp gaze to Peter, her eyes faded with age but ever strong “Uncapeable to care for a child”

The brunette bit his tongue, jaw set as he controlled himself in order not to speak ill of the orphanage itself. He had seen the state the girl, Eleanor, had been in…She was no better in taking care of anyone.

“Please” he said instead, knuckles white as he kept his fists on his lap, unmoving

“Oh for the love of- No!” the woman all but shouted, wrinkly face turning red with impatience

“Mr Wilson wont be in the psyc ward forever” Peter continued to insist “but yet you insist on having his child taken away! Let him get a visit from his own daughter in the least!” Peter might be getting a bit desperate

“Are you the child’s parent or carer?” The lady asked, walking around her desk towards Peter

“No” Peter answered

“Is her parent or carer in a state capable to care for the child?”

“Not yet” Peter said “but you dont exactly take away children from a parent who’s staying at a hospital, do you?” Peter countered

“This ‘parent’ isn’t injured or sick…” Her face grew close, lip curling in a contained snarl as she glared through the thin frame of her glasses. Peter could smell cinnamon off of her, had she not been so angry, he would’ve thought about his late aunt, May.

“He is insane” she said each word slowly, spelling each syllable so it got in into Peter’s head properly.

Peter didnt waver.

“Mental illness is still an illness” Peter said slow “and my patient isn’t insane, if anyone were to know- that would be me” he dared to glare back “the one who’s qualified to diagnose”

The two stayed like that for a moment. Elderly face close to his, hot breath fuming off her nostrils punching Peter’s face as he remained sat on the old wooden chair, refusing to move.

“If youre so qualified…” she whispered and compared to her shouting, it stabbed Peter so much worse “then how come he is still there?”

Peter’s eyebrow ticked for a moment in offense and she seemed to catch his slip up, smiling as she stood straight once again, thin frame tall and elegant like a goose (Peter hates geese- they’re terrifying).

“Unless Eleanor’s parent is mentally stable to care for his daughter, we aren’t letting her see him” she says proudly like someone who calls out “checkmate”.

“Please allow Eleanor to see her father” Peter said anyway and, just like her, took pleasure in the way her features ticked in annoyance

“This might be her last chance to see him…” he tried “If she gets taken in into a new family before Mr Wilson’s realease” he couldn’t believe he was doing this but drastic moments called for drastic measures.

Slowly, he removed his glasses, cleaning them as sadly as he could before lifting his face just enough to make his eyes appear larger. He looked deep into the woman’s eyes, frowning with the smallest of pouts.

Was he doing puppy eyes? Yes. Yes, he had fallen that far.

“If Eleanor wants to see her father she will need an adult responsible for her” the elderly lady said, frowning angrily at Peter as if his actions did not bother her “But… She doesnt have one of those, does she?”

“I could take her” Peter’s whole expression fell back to his blank one in an instant

“We dont allow strangers to take children” she crossed her arms, nose up in the air

“Then what do you suggest?” Peter asked

“I suggest you leave” She said pointedly “we appreciate your donations so far but if you dont leave in the next minute I will call security”

Peter kept his gaze firm as he looked up at the lady, her finger tapping against her crossed arms with impatience as she waited for him to leave.
Well…Guess he doesnt have a choice.

“Please alllow Eleanor to see her father” he continued to insist, not moving even as the lady rolled her eyes and picked up the old telephone to ask for security.

Wade’s cries were ever so present in his mind. The way the man spoke only thanks to his daughter was more than enough for Peter to now he would do anything for her.

“I actually met her not long ago” Peter had told him, happy that it calmed the man down. He struggled to tell Wade the state he found the kid in and what Ellie had told him so instead he focused on talking about his thoughts on her- how clever she was and how much she talked about Wade.

“I hope she gets taken into a good family” Wade said softly, the mask lifted just enough to show the fondest smile Peter had ever seen “at least I’ll know then that she’s happy”

Sat outside where the security had thrown him out, Peter pulled out Debra’s number, letting his finger hover over the call button.
He watched the clock in the corner of his screen, waiting…waiting…

Finally, he pressed call just at the right time he knew one of her lessons ended and she could answer, listening to the ring as he thought of some solutions.

“Should I just kidnap her?” Peter wondered aloud

“What?” Debra answered just then, sounding slightly concerned “Kidnap who?”

“Hey, Debz” Peter greeted casually

“Peter, kidnap who??”

“I was actually calling to ask if I could have a meeting with the same student as last time?” he asked, ignoring her “I visited her orphanage but they didn’t allow me to see her unless I’m thinking of taking her” he half lied (it was true).

Debra was quiet for a moment, seeming to think it over. Peter waited patiently, hearing some papers flip in the background as he leaned back against the wall of outside the orphanage.

“I dont know, Peter” Debra said uncertain “Pabby made a complaint about you” she groaned

“I did nothing to receive a complaint” Peter said confident “I was careful with my words and polite to her-“

“Ellie said you called her a snob”

“Ah…” He nodded in understanding “Since when does Pabby believe kids though?” Peter countered, receiving a laugh from Debra

“Ellie seems to really like you” Debra said instead “well…like you enough, at least” she corrected “I’ll see if I can get permission and I’ll text you if anything happens”

“If they refuse just say I work at Stark’s” Peter said as he stood up off the floor

“OOoooh, the qualification card, i like it” Debra’s reply was muffled as the sound of typing was heard, most likely holding her phone in between her shoulder and chin

“Thank you, Debra” Peter said earnestly

“Sure” she chirped “can I ask why you want to see her again? Should I be paying more attention to her?”

“Yes” Peter replied simply “I’ll tell you properly when I see you” he bid farewell and hanged up.

He was tired, social battery running low…but he couldn’t rest. Not as long as this was unfinished…
That night, Peter remained hunched over his desk, writing down ideas and solutions for the current situation, unable to sleep as everything lead him to a dead end.