Chapter 33

Late night, unable to sleep as per usual, Peter wanted to write an email to his Jameson, asking to get permit for visitors, he really did… But for that hed have to write another report and he just can’t seem to focus right now. 

Grumbling, Peter tiredly pulled bit on the string of his hoodie as he attempted to type the first words of his report again, the document remaining blank. He had all his notes displayed on the desk, as he repeatedly tapped on the table in thought before finally leaning back with a heavy sigh.

“Why cant I do it?” he asked frustrated, he usually worked when it wasn’t necessary and now that both Wade and Ellie needed this his brain decided to stop working.

Opening a new tab, Peter was about to pull out another murder documentary when his hands paused, eyes catching a thumbnail of a video of Sweeney Todd.

 Sweeney good the demon barber…  barber… hair-

Peter began to search how to style and take care of curly hair, opening a drawer full of empty files and notebooks and pulling a notebook that was still wrapped in plastic. Yesterday, while shopping,  he had asked Ellie chose one for him and she had picked one with cute designs and sparkles, mostly baby blue.

He opened it and began to take notes on how to are for curly hair, watching few videos on how to style it as well. 

Eventually, he had subscribed to the lady’s hair channel and opened another tab to buy online the recommended hair products she had suggested. 

“Peter?” Ellie’s quiet voice brought him out of his focus, he briefly glanced at the time, double checking it was still night time, before turning to look at the girl who was peeking through the small crack of the door, pillow held in hand.

“Ellie?” he stood and made his way to her “What’s wrong?” he asked with worry, noting the pillow was being used to comfort herself and her swolle eyes.

“I went to your room but you weren’t there” Ellie let go of the door to hug her pillow, foot digging onto the floor 

“I usually sleep late so I was on my laptop for a bit” Peter explained, wondering if she had grown anxious at the fact she didnt see him or if it was something else “You should be asleep, what happened?” he asked, hugging his knees and he crouched down to her level, bones popping with the action that caused Ellie to wince with him.

“I had a nightmare” she mumbled, hiding her face in the pillow and mumbling something else that Peter couldn’t understand 

“Oh” Peter blinked, he had considered the possibility but since she seemed to have slept fine the first night he had brushed it off “Do you want some warm milk?” he offered and Ellie nodded into the pillow, seeming as if she didnt want to show her face.

Without thinking, Peter reached under her knees and picked her up as he stood, feeling the girl tense at the sudden touch before melting into his hold, sniffling quietly as she hugged her pillow tighter.

Carefully, Peter carried her to the kitchen and sat her down at the balcony as he grabbed some milk

“Which mug do you want?” Peter asked, gesturing to the small collection of funny and cute mugs he had gotten over the years.

Ellie glanced up from her pillow, pausing with teary eyes as she looked over the mugs before lifting her head fully to speak

“The pug one” she said, her voice soft and sad that seemed to stab at Peter’s chest.

Nodding, Peter began to warm the milk in the “you just need a pug” mug, leaning against the balcony as he waited. He remained quiet as Ellie sniffled, seeming to calm down slowly at the company if the way she slowly lowered her pillow was saying anything.