Chapter 49

“Visits are one thing but this…” Jameson sat on his desk, smoking in side despite the amount of times Peter has coughed. He, when actually working, seemed professional and reasonable which was extremely rare to see from the shouting man

“I know” Peter clears his itching throat, hands nervously on his lap and shoulders tense as if expecting the other to shout at any second. This was so nerve wracking… he’d rather Mr Jameson shout at him like usual.

“But he will be under supervision” Peter tried “I will be there but it doesn’t have to be mine, you can send someone with Mr Wilson to make sure he is alright”

“I hear he isn’t good with crowds” Jameson’s eyes drift away from the paper Peter wrote, looking at him “this seems like somewhere a crowd just might be” he says slowly and sarcastically

“Yes” Peter takes a shaky breath, coughing a few times as he inhaled the smoke in the room, that earns him an eye roll from the man across.

“But-“ he coughs a little again “But Mr Wilson has been ding much better and I it will be only for a day” he tries again

“Won’t he expect more?” Jameson puts the paper down, hands together as he leaned in on his desk to look Peter down properly “you give him a taste of freedom and he will be wanting more of it”

Peter paused, not because Jameson ‘got him’ or had a point but because he was holding back his tongue from saying anything rude to his manager who spoke about Wade as if he were a criminal.

The misunderstandings were cleared, he had no reason to say such a things in such ways… Wade had not hurt anyone.

“I will fully explain to Wade that such occurrences won’t be repeating until later on in his journey to healing” Peter remained patient “If anything, this might encourage him to be more cooperative” he adds so Jameson can agree, as if Wade had really not been cooperative.

“So he is causing trouble?” Jameson seems to take it as something to attack Peter with

“No, Sir, rather than that, what I meant was that Wade behaves but has yet to socialize more with people whom he does not know” Peter explains, his hands, that had been tucked tidily on his lap, coming up to gesture as he speaks “collaborative, if you will. Wade needs to start to take steps outside his comfort zone-“

“I thought he had already began to do so” Jameson lifts a brow towards Peter “your reports claim that he has been doing more activities as of recently, even managed to befriend other patients”

“Well- yes but I believe Wade is still fearful of others” Peter tries again, he really wants this to happen and is not letting go of the subject until Mr Jameson agrees “I suspect he is only getting along with those few patients because, one, they are extremely friendly and, two, they are in similar situations.”

It was true, Wade got along with some patients but had they not attempted to approach first, that wouldn’t’ have happened as of yet. Peter is thankful for those people being present for Wade, though, they are kind and since they are patients as well, seem to be very understanding of Wade- unlike some others who keep their distance thanks to the rumors.

Still, it does not change the fact that Wade tenses when those friends approach or how he seems on guard because of the nurses around.

“You aren’t letting your closeness cloud your judgement now, are you, Parker?” Jameson straightens up, puffing out a cloud of smoke towards him as he spoke slow

“Excuse me?” Peter is caught off guard by the question

“You adopted his kid” Jameson starts “and seem to be taking extra care of him”