Chapter 26

Peter assumes he doesn't look too good because when he sees Debra, the next day, she doesn't make any jokes or tries to be playful with him as usual. For once, he knows he looks horrible and no one makes a “you look awful” joke.

He wore simple comfortable clothes. His wishes to remain professional and dress nice to have others naturally open up to him, lost.
A long sleeved black shirt under his loose t-shirt, baggy comfortable jeans were the outfit of the day (only because he felt bad wearing joggers and a hoodie).
His usual messenger bag had been changed for his old backpack where he had all his notes and mind maps of useless ideas as well as his laptop.

Dressed casual, like any other person, except people had only ever seen him dressed either too nerdy or too smart… at least the kids in the school thought he looked cool and “younger” (which wasn’t as good as it sounded as Peter already had a baby face- sounding any younger sounded terrible)

The moment he entered the counseling room, Mrs pabby was there to give him the stink eye he had feared a week ago, now he just couldn’t care less.
She glared at him as he refused to greet her, instead, he just sat down on the blue sofa and let himself get comfortable, hearing an offended scoff from the woman before the door slammed.

At least Peter did something useful, he contacted a new children’s therapist he met in university, Mrs Paige. She was the eldest in the class he took but nice and gentle, he was sure she'd do wonderful here and had given the school’s and Debra’s details to her, knowing she needed a job in her area.

At least then Ellie would have someone to take care of her properly… Peter might or might have not asked Mrs Paige to pay close attention to Ellie if she did ever come to work here.

Not long after, a knock was heard at the door and a bundle of messy hair came in, Peter instantly sat up and smiled at the sight of Ellie.

She was wearing a graphic T-shirt Peter had gotten her and a skirt with knee high socks. Her shoes were still the same as last, old and almost ripping at the front, but she wore a bright smile that widened at the sight of Peter.

“Hello Mr Peter!” She greeted brightly and Peter felt some of the guilt in his chest ease just for knowing Ellie was cleaner and happier than before,

“Hello, Eleanor” he greeted, chuckling at how her nose scrunched up n distaste

“Ellie” she corrected

“Alright, Ellie” he said amused, watching as she jumped on the sofa, old backpack dropped at her side as she rummaged through it

“I'm glad you came back” she began, legs kicking excitedly “I wanted to thank you for the clothes” her tongue stuck out as her little hands seeked something, then with a gasp she pulled out a paper folded in the middle, drawings on it “Here!”

Reaching forwards, she placed the homemade card on the small table in front of them and pushed it towards Peter before sitting up once again. Her legs, which had been kicking happily, stilled as she began to fidget in a similar manner to Wade’s, cheeks slightly red as she shyly looked down.

“What’s this?” Peter asked as he took the paper in hand with care, opening it to see the large messy letters inside, colorfully spelling out “Thank you!”

“It’s a thank you card” Ellie was a bit more quiet than before, shy “for the clothes…”

Peter swallowed as he looked at the inside of the card, it was messy and some letters were larger than the others, in the corner was a drawing of a girl wearing clothes he recognized, standing next to a nerdy looking man with glasses, there were yellow lines around his face indicating his face was shining…much alike Wade’s own drawings. If Peter had to be honest, Ellie was a better artist than Wade…