Chapter 32

Peter was following his usual routine of working during his day off. He had been in the midst of writing an email for the clinic, informing about things he knew about Wade just in case anything were to happpen.

It was nearing the time to go collect Ellie from school, he knew because, despite having put on an alarm, he kept glancing at the time.

It was weird, having to wake up not for your own sake, to have to wash dishes that didnt belong to you, to have set of shoes that weren’t yours at your door. It somehow felt like he was with his aunt again, running around balancing work, studying and helping her… except now he barely ad to balance and that there was no aunt but a tiny human.

That thought was terrifying in itself. Peter was alright with children…sort of- His previous work had given him enough experience for him to deem himself ‘alright’.
However living with an entire other human being, on top of that a tiny one, after years of being by himself was, if not worrying, scary.

This early morning he had awoken in his new room, struggling to comprehend the new setting and location of his things… struggling at the sudden lack of routine.
He had gotten up and began pulling out work clothes so he could shower, trying all he could to drag his previous lifestyle back to how it was, but on his way to the bathroom he froze as he realized that he had woken up not for work but to take a girl to school, that he was half decent with a little girl living with him-

He rushed back to his room and pulled some pijama bottoms over his bare legs, scolding himself for being disrespectful with guests—

But Ellie wasn’t a guest, was she? She was here to stay until her father were to return… Peter would be the responsible one for her until then… like his uncle was- Does that make him an uncle? He wasn’t sure…

Body itching at the sudden change of lifestyle, Peter knocked on the girl’s door and called her, refusing to enter as he was sure that to Ellie, Peter was still a stranger.

“Mornin’” Ellie had come out of her room, hair messier than usual, wild and free. She sleepily rubbed at her eye as Peter lead her to the kitchen, placing the milk and cereal boxes she chose on the table for her to make as she watched cartoons on the tv.

After taking the public bus with Ellie, taking her to school so she wouldn’t go by herself, and returning back home- Peter desperately attempted to start his day as he would usually, trying to seek some comfort in the familiar routine…

It didnt work. Peter told himself he’d grow used to this new lifestyle soon enough and soothingly ran his own fingers through his hair.

“Peter!!” Ellie ran out of school, new bag bouncing on her back as she rushed out the gates. She looked more decent, new clean clothes, smelling good, only problem was her hair which was half brushed and sticking in different places.

“Hello, Ellie” Peter greeted amused at her enthusiasm “Had a good day?” he asked

“Uh-huh!” She nodded as they walked towards the bus stop together, seeming not to notice how Peter took her backpack from her “Someone said they liked my new pencil case and this girl tried to steal my pen and instead of pulling her hair I told on her!” she said proudly in one breath

“It’s good you seem to be getting along with others” Peter encouraged as he stood by the bench of the stop, allowing Ellie to have a sit “you dont have to resolve to violence so quickly, Ellie” he began to say, worried by her pride with not pulling one’s hair “unless its for self defense”

“It was self defense!” Ellie’s cheeks puffed adorably “I was protecting the pen you got for me” she pouted, crossing her arms as she looked down at the floor.