Chapter 35

This was a bit of an awkward situation of sorts. 

Peter was sat in the principal’s office, even though he didnt work here anymore, Debra was off to the side, even though he wasn’t out for coffee with her, and Ellie was sat next to him.

“You’re the one responsible for her now?” the large man before him asked, looking at Peter with confusion, clearly recognizing him but not knowing where from.

“Yes” Peter replied, finding the chair he sat in uncomfortable “I am Peter Parker” he introduced himself in case the man needed reminding 

“Ah! You used to work here, didnt you Mr Parker?” the principal finally remembered, smiling at him from his big plushed chair

“Yes, I used to be the counselor here before Mrs Pabby and Mrs Paige” he returned the smile 

“He is also the one who recommended Mrs Paige to us” Debra added from where she stood, flashing a quick smile to Peter at her addition

“I see, Mrs Paige has been real help as of late” the man nodded “very kind to the children-“ he stopped abruptly, clearing his throat before leaning forwards, placing his elbows on the table.

Peter recognized the stance as the beguinning of the real conversation and quickly glanced towards Ellie, who remained with a grumpy expression, arms crossed.

“Now, Mr Parker-“ the principal began 

“Please, call me Peter” Peter requested nicely, hoping the proximity created with the usage of first names would discourage the man from giving any punishment to Ellie…if thats what was happening.

“Peter” the principal corrected, smile reaching his eyes for a moment “Eleanor here has gotten into a fight with the others” he began, gesturing to the girl who blew a stray air out of her face at the mention of her.

“Is she hurt?” Peter asked, worriedly turning to Ellie. He had been picked on in his younger days and couldn’t help but imagine those scenerios happening to Ellie.

Surprised by the question, Ellie turned to look up at Peter with wide eyes before she looked away, almost in shame. While before she had been grumpily sat with arms crossed, legs spread and sliding down her seat…Now she looked down, hand on her lap as she sat hunching on herself.

“No, she is a very good fighter, so it seems” the principal said, bringing Peter’s attention back “A boy, however, had to go to the nurse thanks to a knee to his nose” he glanced Ellie’s way and Peter followed.

On Ellie’s stocking there was a bit of blood. 

“Is the boy alright?” Peter turned back to look forwards

“It was a minor nosebleed” the man waved his hand before turning serious as he looked at Peter “however we do not allow violence in this school…” he said “We have put Eleanor in detention for today but if this happens again we’ll have to kick her out” he warned.

“Alright” Peter nodded, looking at Ellie from the corner of his eye before asking “Do you know why they were fighting?” 

“Well… not exactly” the principal replied with a sigh “The young man told us what happened but Eleanor hasn’t spoken to us yet, not with Mrs Paige, me or Miss Whitman” he gestured to himself and Debra with a frown.

Peter frowned slightly before turning to look at Ellie who was already avoiding looking at him, seeming to know hed be the next to ask. Sighing, Peter smiled as he placed a hand on Ellie’s shoulder