Chapter 50

“What are you doing?” White asks, sounding incredibly unamused

Wade twirled in his room and skipped around, humming and perhaps being more dramatic to annoy the voice. He had his mask off, having taken a shower after the gym and now wearing a dumb grin on his face.

Wade had thought he might had been hallucinating Peter at first because in what world would Wade, not only, get good news but get checked out by the other?

“He wasn’t checking you out” White groaned

“Sure he was! Did you see those big brown doe eyes looking us up and down?” Yellow chimes, at the top of the world right now “He totally was!!” he squeals

White does not have a clever (depressing) response to that because, as much as Wade can doubt himself, Peter was looking at him and it wasn’t in his usual calculated way.
Not only that, what got Wade giggling like a school girl was the look Peter had given him upon being caught red handed. The man who usually looked so composed was blushing and pouting and it was adorable.
It just made Wade want to tease the other more, see how much he can break that blank mask of his.

Humming, Wade sat on the bed, picking up a letter written by Ellie that Peter gave him after the incident. He grinned as he opened it, getting glitter all over himself and his clothes but not minding as he looked at the drawing on the outside of the letter.

‘Super Serious Stuff’ the outside read and Wade snorted, finding it amusing and cute. Unfolding the paper, Wade’s grin dropped a bit at the first word

“Sorry?” he read aloud, brow furrowing in confusion as he pictured White in his head with a hand just hovering over a red button for alarms to go off.

“It’s probably not that deep” Yellow tried to calm themselves and Wade wish it worked.

As Wade continued to read the letter, his heart clenched in anticipation before it swelled as he slowly understood

“I called Peter my dad. Is that okay?” she asked

Letting out a short little laugh, Wade brushed a hand over his bald head as he looked at the letter. It had written about her backstory with her two new friends and how they came over…all so she could ask that.
She had nervously been dragging the story, afraid Wade would be upset or mad.

“I won’t call him that if it makes you sad” she wrote as well, a picture of her and Peter and Wade, probably to persuade him that little adorable booger ball.

Wade sighed lightly, placing the letter with all his other ones from Ellie, smiling softly as he ran a hand over them.
Standing up, he walked over and grabbed his notebook, taking out a page and writing a response

“Ellie?” Peter called as he arrived home, holding a letter covered with what is an upsettingly amount of glitter, thankfully he’s used to it.
Removing his shoes at the entrance, Peter entered his home, looking around for Ellie…his daughter.

“Eleanor?” he called again

“Dont call me that” ah, there she is.

Walking to their study, Ellie sat in Peter’s chair, despite having her own, her back to Peter as she hugged her knees close.
Knocking on the door before coming in, Peter turned his chair to see the girl with a pout and furrowed brows, lifting a brow at her grumpy expression.

“Something happened today?” he asks, putting his messenger bag down and kneeling before the chair with worry

“No” she huffs and Peter hums, not believing.

“Want to talk about it?” he asks instead, poking her squishy cheeks

“No” she huffs again.

Frowning, Peter looks at his daughter for a moment more, trying to conjure a plan to cheer her up. He had just arrived home but maybe she’d appreciate eating out today, could cheer her up-

“I don’t get it” she ‘hmph’s as she crosses her arms more aggressively. Ah, it’s the ‘I dont want to talk about it but I will anyway’, classic

“What don’t you get, baby?” Peter frowns, brushing her hair back

“Why did I have to have a mom and a dad but I couldn’t have you and dad instead” she grumbled grumpily

“Huh” Peter blinked.

“I know to have a baby you need a woman and a man” she scrunches her nose at the idea, definitely remembering the unwanted lesson Peter gave her “but why couldn’t you be the mom” she said frustrated and Peter choked in his own spit, coughing.

“Does it matter?” Peter squeaks, cheeks warm

“It does!” Ellie whines

When he took Ellie in, Peter knew he’d have to talk about things that may be uncomfortable, that is how conversations go for Peter usually. He did not expect, however, this.

“May I ask…why?” Peter tries to understand the thought process here

“Because” Ellie, helpfully, explains

Sighing, Peter scratches the back of his head in thought. He tried to think back to his aunt and uncle and whenever he had ever wished thy were his real parents… there was not a time like that, Peter’s parents had been good and there was no reason to wish they weren’t his…was there?

“Is it not good enough that I am your dad now?” Peter asks, lost

“…No” Ellie pouts and Peter blinks back in surprise because that actually physically hurt.

Peter frowns as Ellie turns her head away from him, slowly his eyes turning down to the letter in his hands, signed in pink gel pen with the word ‘dad’.
Suddenly, he remembers his talk with Jameson… and how he had asked about a similar scenario.

“What is she sees you as a father because hers isn’t present?”

If Peter remembered his response… It was that it didnt matter because Ellie is his daughter.

“…Is there anything I can do?” Peter asks, gently placing his free hand on her knee “to make you feel better?”

Ellie keeps facing away, a small sniffle escaping her as she shook her head. Peter can see that her brows are furrowed in the way she tries to hold back her tears of fustration and it might hurt a bit more than her response earlier to know that he can’t help.

“…Your dad sent a letter in response to your other one” Peter decides to try something different, hoping that a letter from her that would help Ellie cheer up a bit. She must miss him a lot.

Ellie quickly snaps her head back to Peter, eyeing the letter he holds up for her with teary eyes that widen in surprise.

“I’m sorry I haven’t had much time to take you to visit him more often” Peter gives her an apologetic smile “I swear I will try make some time to take you again soon” he promises as the little hands take the piece of paper.

Ellie sniffles, nodding as she rubes her eyes before opening the letter. Peter watches her eyes quickly read the letter, curious of the contents but knowing it’s not his place to ask.
He sighs in relief as Ellie’s face breaks into a huge smile and she looks giddily to him after

“Papa!” she shouts and throws herself at Peter, catching the man in surprise as her little arms wrap around his neck and he almost falls back.

Peter’s eyes widened in confusion, unsure what the letter contained that made Ellie quickly accept him as her father (papa??) again.
Still, he was in no place to ask questions, returning the embrace with a teary smile. He doesn't care what was in the letter, he would just simply be happy and grateful for its contents helping Ellie back to him…

However, that night when Peter tucked Ellie into bed, sitting by her side and brushing her hair, he couldn’t help catch a glimpse of the letter and it’s last phrase.

“Won’t it get confusing if we’re both dad?” it said with a picture of a masked man, a girl and a man with a shiny butt all holding hands.