R&K: Aunt Mary

Aunt Mary was dead. Ryan could not breathe as he gripped his Mama's hand tightly, the tears falling from his eyes as he stared back, away from the group who had circled around Elias and Aunt Mary.

The howls and screams of pain were too loud. He looked down at his Mom who's eyes were too distant for him to notice any other kind of pain. "Mama?" He needed to get her away from this. Without thinking twice, Ryan bent down and lifted his mom into his arms.

She was small, and barely weighed anything for someone who cooked and ate every hour with the orphans in the pack house.  "Mama, talk to me please." Everything was falling apart in his world as he pushed his mom's house door and laid her on the couch.

She didn't like death. She hated it, and Ryan had always made sure she was the first person in the safe house. Death sent her to a dark place, to a place she cried and cried until there was no part of her that wanted to live. Except for him. She turned on the couch, pressing her hand under her hand. "I'm okay." She spoke softly, not opening his eyes. "I just need a few seconds." His mom was the only wolf who had been abandoned by her wolf, leaving her practically human compared to the others.

It was why he always had to make her feel proud, to give her a reason to hold onto life after the shock of betrayal that had gone through her of losing his sperm donor and her wolf. She kept herself busy, yet never busy for him.

He moved his hands over her dark hair. "I'm going to get some food for you and then I'm going to spend the day with you." He held back the tears as his mom held his hand gently and shook her head.

"Stay with them, baby. I'm going to get some rest." I want to be alone.

He nodded his head, leaning down and pressing his lips on her forehead. "I love you, Mama. I'm going to come and check up on you, okay?" She nodded her head, keeping her eyes closed and he walked towards the curtains, drawing them shut so the light didn't hurt her eyes.

Ryan glanced over his shoulder at her, but his mom was fast asleep, and he knew she had been exhausted the past few weeks, not stopping to let her body take a second. He walked out the door and closed it behind himself with a soft click before heading back towards the pack house.

Nobody had moved. Everyone was crying. Brian held onto his sister, Liv. Andy and Josh stood besides the Alpha, staring at Aunt Mary's dead body. Kyle stood away from them all, silent. Distant. Ryan looked towards the pack house, staring at Myra who's eyes were wide. She stumbled and his body moved as she fell to the floor, a loud thud on the ground.

"Myra?" Ryan patted her cheek but she didn't wake up. Ryan lifted her lifeless body up into his arms, knowing the Alpha was heading towards him as he ran up the stairs. He laid her on her own bed just as Elias walked into the room, his eyes wide. "I-I don't know what happened…" Ryan spoke in a low voice, taking a few steps backwards.

"It's fine." Elias sat besides her, pushing her hair out of her face as he gripped her hand tightly in his. "Could you close the door behind you, please?" Give us some time.

Ryan nodded his head, walking out of her room and heading downstairs. Rubbing his face harshly, Ryan walked out of the house, heading silently to his own house.

Aunt Mary was a big part of everyone's lives. He should have done better. He should have known something like this would happen. He should have followed her into the woods. He should have given her the cake his mama had made. He should have taken care of the two women in his life and he couldn't.

Ryan opened his mom's house door quietly to see her still sleeping on the couch. He had to take care of her, she was growing weaker and he couldn't lose his mom. Closing the door gently, he walked to his own house.