R&K: Second Chances

In between the time of book 1 and book 2. So these are like extra scenes, the reason it leads up to why Kyle will have stopped speaking to Ryan.

Ryan stared at the grave stone as the children from the orphanage cried around him.

His mom was dead.

The woman who baked cakes and looked after orphans, who gave a chance to every child, was ripped out of the world by exhaustion.

He was a fucking stupid son. There were so many sighs yet he didn't care enough to ignore her words and focus on her. He shouldn't have listened to her when she said she was fine, or when her body collapsed right in his arms and she didn't want the doctor. He held his mom while she took her last breaths.

Last night.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he tried not to jump as May looked at him with softness in her eyes. "I'm going to take the kids home-" He looked at all the children that were crying for his mom. "Please come see us."

He nodded his head silently, turning around as the scent of his mate floated towards him. Ryan ignored Kyle's stare as he watched the reluctant children follow May back to the orphanage.

"I was looking for you." Kyle spoke the first words in a few months.

"Had nowhere else to go." Ryan muttered, turning around and facing his mom's grave again.

He didn't want to go home to an empty house, to his mom's house which he had moved back in several months ago. Andy and Josh lived next door to him in the house they had once all shared. Kyle and Brian had moved back to the pack house.

"I'm sorry." Kyle said in a low voice as he stood shoulder to shoulder with Ryan.

Death brought people closer yet Ryan had not a single care in the world. He turned around, ready to walk away as Kyle's fingers grasped his. "I'm not afraid."

"I don't believe you. I'm not here for pity sex because your hands are not satisfying anymore." Ryan pulled his hand away, walking away from the graveyard and heading back to his house.

Kyle was following him silently. Ryan came to a stop as he saw Myra sitting outside his house door. A laugh escaped him as she held the beer bottles up and Brian, Josh, and Andy jogged towards him. "We're for you, man." Andy wrapped his arms around him.

"Hey! I was going to hug him first!" Myra called. They laughed, pulling away from Ryan as they all walked towards Myra who showed the vodka bottle. "Sneaked this off Elias." She wiggled her eyebrows.

He smiled at her, knowing that this helped him. To just be himself rather than thinking too much. He wrapped an arm around Myra's shoulders, his rock throughout everything during the year and a few months since he knew her. They walked into his mom's house, which he had moved into after calling it quits with Kyle.

Her scent was still there, overpowered by the cookies she had last baked for the orphanage. Myra breathed in the scent and smiled. "It smells like home." She looked up to Ryan as the others walked inside, claiming their seats.

Kyle stayed behind him, as if wanting to be close but Ryan simply did not care. They were to get drunk.

**

Ryan was not drunk. He had barely touched the first vodka drink Myra had given him though the others had drunk like crazy. They talked about all the good times they shared with his mom and he loved it. He didn't want to get drunk for it.

"I'm going to warm this up." Ryan spoke, holding the box of fried rice with chicken Andy had ordered for him.  He stood up and headed to the kitchen, ignoring his drunk best friends.