Chapter 20 (Edited)

The two weeks I have been in this pack were by far the best time of my life since, well forever. I had become a part of one of the best groups and basically became a family member to Liam, Perry and Alpha Carter, who told me to call him Uncle C.

Ya, I had forgiven Liam from his mistake of being a douche. Three days after me fighting Lady, the Slut, Wafilia, the kid that I saved, had gotten beaten by another pack member of his. Let's just say the guy would've had a lot worse injuries if I hadn't stepped in and pulled Liam out of there.

I still had kept an eye on Wafilia but every time she tried to talk to me, I would basically walk away, looking down. My face was basically red because I blushed so hard. I was still scared that she would see what the others saw and thought I wasn't good enough.

"Damn, Rylan, you seriously need to get over that fear," Perry said when I walked over to the group, my face red. "What if she doesn't hurt you?" He raised an eyebrow as if he had stumped me.

I sat down and waved at my face, trying to make my face go down back to it's normal color. "I can't take that risk," I replied. "'Sides, I did try. Remember?" My face turned redder when I thought of the incident.

Luke busted out laughing, causing Addy to smack him. "What?" Luke asked, looking down at her. "You should've been there. It was funny."

"No, it was embarrassing," I said. "I didn't mean to create a human domino effect or piss my pants." I took out my drawing book and worked on the picture of Wafilia that I had been doing. It was about one of those days that I had actually caught her smiling, showing me how beautiful she was inside and out.

"Well, you need to get over that fear, so stay right there," Liam said. He got up and moved to a seat behind me with the others.

"What?" I asked, sidetracked. I looked behind me to see that they were all watching something or someone behind me. I looked to where they were looking at and saw Wafilia coming in my direction. I quickly glanced down, my cheeks burning while I worked on the drawing of her.

I prayed to the Moon Goddess that she would just walk past me. However, that didn't happen because she sat right across from me. I didn't look up, at her, my heart rate increasing. Great, I thought, all I needed was a heart attack.

'Breathe, Ry,' Liam scowled. 'Your brother would tell you the same thing and tell you that you are overreacting'.

I let out a breathless chuckle. 'I overreact over the slightest things. Remember?'

'Yes, I do. Now, pay attention. She is talking to you.'

"Rylan," Wafilia said. "I asked you if I was beautiful."

I paused in my drawing, shocked on what she was asking of me. "Of course," I said, not looking at her. "Why would you not think that?"

"Because, you are not looking at me," she said with a huff. "And you always try to steer clear of me."

I sighed, deciding to try and come clean. "It's not your fault. It's basically mine." I rubbed my wrists after I had placed my pencil down.

Wafilia snorted. "Ya right. Give me a good reason why it would be your fault."

I glanced up at her through my eyelashes, raising an eyebrow. "A good reason or a stupid one?" I asked. "They are basically the same thing."

Wafilia sat up, clearly interested in what I had to say. Her blue eyes held something that I couldn't place a finger on, and that kind of annoyed me. "What is it then?" she asked, impatiently.

I sighed and looked down again. "You do realize that I'm not from here, right? That I'm actually from a different school and a different county."

Wafilia snorted but didn't say a word.

I sighed again and placed my left arm on the table. "When I was seven, I saw someone getting bullied and stepped in to save them. The person that I saved turned against me and started to beat me along with the bully. After that, I didn't trust anyone but protected the underdog." I moved my sleeve so that she could see the scars, causing her to take a sharp breath. "I started when I was seven and ended on my thirteenth birthday because my brother yelled at me and threatened to tell our adopted father."

"And you didn't want to talk to me because..."

"I was scared of being rejected by you," I replied, honestly looking up at her and catching her eye. "That's my biggest and only fear." I paused. "Except for planes. I really hate planes."

Wafilia smiled. "How about we make a deal? You don't reject me then I won't reject you. All right?"

I nodded my head and grinned, my body relaxing because I wasn't going to be rejected by her. "Deal," I said. "Now, how do you like tacos?"