Chapter eight: Lizzie

The phone rang later that night and I answered.

"Hey. Are my boys up?" Josh asked.

"You just missed them. But I'll tell them you called." I replied, folding up laundry. "You ok?"

"Yeah. I was wondering if you could pack the boys' water guns this weekend? I was thinking of having a day in the garden. Maybe set up the pool since it's supposed to be a scorcher."

"Sure. Do you need me to pack sunhats? Extra suncream?"

"Yes please. Also sunglasses. I've looked everywhere for the ones you gave me last month and I can't find them."

"Check your junk drawer." I said. "I'll pack some spares."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

"And I was thinking of inviting my new girlfriend around, so the boys could meet her." He said. "Do you think that would be ok?" 

"What?" I paused from folding.

"Hmm?"

"When did you get a girlfriend?" I asked.

"Six months ago."

"Six months." I murmured. "How come you haven't brought her up before?"

"Things weren't too serious. But we've been together a while now and I thought it was time to introduce her to you and the boys."

"She knows about us?"

"Of course. Tessa's excited to meet you and the boys."

"Do the kids know about this?"

"I may have mentioned a new friend a couple of times." He explained. "Like I said, things weren't too serious and I wanted to call you first before making any introductions. I want you to be there with them, so could I bring her round to meet you and the boys?"

"Of course. The kids have heard of her but they don't know she's your girlfriend?" I checked.

"No. I'm going to do a proper introduction on Saturday. Tess suggested the water park but that was out of my price range. So I was going to set up the pool in the garden along with the sprinklers."

"Maybe you could take them miniature golfing. They'll like that and it's only £5 a game." I suggested. "Kids eat free."

"Great. Thanks."

"So, can I meet her sometime? Properly?" I asked. "I'd love to get to know her and drop off times are always so hectic."

"Of course. You could pick them up on Sunday and you can have a coffee and get to know each other." Josh said. "I think you'll love her. You've got a lot in common."

"Sounds good. I'll let the boys know." I said. "It will have to be a quick one though, I told Archer we'd meet him at the park in the afternoon."

"Ok. What are you up to this weekend?"

"I'm supposed to have a date on Friday."

"Yeah? In the evening?"

"No. It's at lunchtime so I have time pick the kids up."

"If you want to leave an impression, you should wear that little black dress." He suggested.

"The one with the red rim?"

"No, the off the shoulder one that flares at the bottom." He said. "With the lacy thing underneath."

"The one I wore on our first date?" I said, disbelievingly.