Chapter forty-four: Charlie

"I'm in love, Querida." I murmured. "I found the girl I want to spend my life with. And if she'll let me, I'll spend the rest of my days trying to make her happy."

I leaned against Jasmine's tree and listened to the leaves whistle a tune that I could swear Jasmine was singing.

Sí?

"Sí. And I could go out and buy a diamond ring and ask her kids and go the distance. But I need some help first."

Help? How?

"I need to let you go." I whispered. "I'm going to go the distance, but only if you set me down that path."

So let me go.

"How?"

Take a deep breath, close your eyes and picture the future.

I closed my eyes and let my mind wander. Jasmine's image filled my brain and I smiled. She was wearing a wedding dress. Playing with the kids. Walking Maddie down the aisle.

Now hold that image in your mind. She said. And count to three. When you let your breath go, imagine me going with it.

I opened my eyes and breathed out gently, feeling her love warm my soul for one last time.

For a moment, the cold rushed in and I felt alone. But then I remembered my children's smiles and turned back towards the sun.

I took a minute to relish this new, light feeling before turning away. I had an errand to run.

~*~

Back home, I put my package away and went downstairs where my kids were sat watching TV.

"Summer's right around the corner." I told them.

They nodded.

"I was thinking about a family vacation." I said. "We haven't been away in so long."

They watched me silently.

"I'd really like to invite Lizzie and the boys along." I explained. "Would you be ok with that?"

They nodded and I smiled at them.

"Where are we going?" Maddie asked.

I took a deep breath and let the memories of promises made flood my mind for a minute or two.

"Japan." I told them.

"Your mamá always wanted to go there when we were younger and I promised her we would go, but then life got in the way and we never made it there." I paused, wistfully. "But now I think it's time we went. We can go and see the cherry blossom trees and walk under the starlit skies like she had wanted."

I looked up at them. "What do you think?"

They nodded and I wrapped my arms around them.

"We'll have a family vacation." I told them. "I think it's important. I think we've all lived with ghosts for long enough. It's time we moved on. Don't you think?"

They nodded and I looked Maddie in the eyes, wiping away a tear that threatened to fall.

I rubbed my thumb lightly under her eye, brushing away a tear and smiled at her.

"Your Mamá wants us to be happy. That's why I'm convinced she sent us Liz." I whispered. "I wouldn't do this unless I was absolutely certain that this was worth it."

She smiled.

"Then don't waste any more time." She said.

I grinned. "Yes Ma'am."