Chapter twenty: Lizzie

"So how was it?" Archer asked, handing me a cup of coffee.

He sat down and swung his legs up so they were resting on mine.

"Good."

He watched me for a minute, his lips quirking into a smile.

"It went well, huh?" He said. "You're going to call him?"

"He already called." I explained. "We're going out again on Saturday."

"That's the spirit." He said, pinching my cheek like I was a child.

I swatted his shoulder as he chuckled.

"Do you think it's going to last?" He asked.

"We've only been out once." I protested.

"There's no point in wasting your time." He argued.

I thought about his track record and conceded defeat.

"I hope so." I admitted.

"There you go then." He said. "You're halfway there."

"I am." I muttered. "I have no idea where he is."

"Then ask." He said. "Just don't waste your time falling in love only for it to end in flames."

I smiled. "I promise."

He sank back against the sofa and I watched him. He seemed so distant at the moment.

"Archer?"

He looked up.

"You ok?"

He smiled and nodded.

"I'm just tired." He murmured. "Between work and the girls, I don't have much time to relax at the moment."

"You know I'm always happy to help with the girls."

He shook his head. "Thank you, but no. We're ok. Really. I just need space to relax."

I took a sip of my coffee and watched him, trying to hide my worry. He looked at me and gave a reassuring smile.

"We're ok." He said, stroking my cheek.

I held out my pinkie and he looped his little finger around mine, kissing it.

"Go to sleep, Archer." I whispered. "It's ok."

"Read to me?" He asked.

I smiled. "Only if you promise to close your eyes and sleep."

I picked up a book on the side and started to read aloud. Archer's eyes dropped lower until his breathing slowed and evened. I continued reading aloud, listening to his soft breathing.

I thought about Charlie again and wondered whether he got enough sleep. Whether he fell asleep instantly or if thoughts of his wife kept him awake as he replayed every memory in his head, wondering if it had actually been as perfect as he remembered.

~*~

I listened to the girls play in the twins' room and wondered how my boys were getting on with Josh.

Looking in the cupboard, I pulled out the ingredients to make brownies and went upstairs to the girls.

"Do you want to do some baking?" I asked.

They nodded and Lucy jumped up into my arms, asking me sweetly to carry her downstairs.

"Come on then." I said, leading them into the kitchen and pulling the step towards the counter so Lucy and Grace could see.