Chapter twenty-four: Lizzie

I ran the boys into school and wondered why no matter what time I got them up, we were always late.

"Bye kids." I murmured, kissing their foreheads and handing them their bags, waving as I ran out again.

I needed to go home and get some work done, but I didn't feel like drawing in a poky room right now. Maybe I should take my pencils out with me and sit in the garden.

On a whim, I got my phone out to message Charlie.

Meet at the park at ten?

Sure. Under the trees?

I smiled at the automatic reply and walked home to pick up my pen and pencils before heading to the park.

I settled under the trees and pulled out my pen, looking at my latest drawing. I had sent off my last portfolio last week and now I was working on a child's book which required a more rustic style which was even harder to manage.

"For heaven's sake." I frowned, crumpling up my latest draft.

"You ok?"

Charlie's voice made me start and I looked up at him, sheepishly.

"Hey." I said, as he sat down.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He said, kissing my cheek in greeting.

"You couldn't wait until Saturday then?" He grinned.

I chuckled and looked down at my sketchpad. "I had a free morning and decided I wanted to share it with someone."

He smiled.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Sketching an idea for this new children's book I've been asked to illustrate." I showed him the scrap I had drawn so far.

"Do you get to choose the projects you do?" He asked.

"Yes, though I'm not too fussy." I said. "I have two kids to support, so I tend to take anything available to me."

"Is there anything you've drawn that I would recognise?"

I considered.

"I illustrated Dog, Mouse and Me." I said, though no hint of recognition lit his face.

"That was quite popular with littles for a couple of years. But a lot of my illustrations aren't used in the final draft." I continued.

He nodded.

"So how does it work?" He asked.

"I get paid for my time." I explained. "I draw portfolios for authors to see what my drawing style is and what my characters would look like based on their descriptions and they decide if they like my style and pay me for the portfolio and any forthcoming projects."

He nodded.

"What do you do?"

He considered. "I'm a contract administrator for Myron's accountancy."

I nodded like I understood and he laughed.

"It's ok. I don't expect you to know what that is." He said.

"Can you explain it to me?" I asked.

"I help the company and customers understand the deals they make to encourage the customers to buy our products. Basically, I'm a negotiator."

I nodded, starting to understand now. He spoke like his job was a means to an end. Not like it was a passion, like mine was.

"Do you like your job?" I asked.