Chapter forty

Lizzie's POV

Charlie was shouting at his daughter and I cuddled Leo who buried his head into my side.

"It's ok." I murmured, stroking his hair. "Papá's just a bit upset."

"What the hell were you thinking?" He yelled. He was so angry he was speaking in a mixture of English and Spanish. Leo clung to me again.

"Por favor–"

The rest of her response was too mumbled and quiet to understand.

Leo buried his head into my chest and I wrapped my arms around him, murmuring in his ear.

"It's ok. Should we get the Lego out?" I asked, softly.

He nodded and I squeezed his hand as I helped him find the Lego box and sat on the carpet to help him build a house.

As I watched him, I replayed the events of last night, Charlie had told me to go upstairs and have a shower whilst he put Leo to bed. Later, he had met me in my room whilst I still had only a towel wrapped around me.

"Don't worry about pyjamas." He whispered, nuzzling my neck. "You're not going to need them."

I smiled at the memory.

I heard him yelling something in Spanish and to my surprise Maddie yelled back.

Leo turned his soft brown eyes to meet mine and I squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"It's ok." I whispered. "It's ok. I'm here."

He looked troubled and I sighed as the yelling got louder.

"Should we go to the park?" I asked, softly. "There's a nice one nearby."

He nodded and put his shoes on whilst I grabbed my purse and scribbled Charlie a note.

Taking his hand, we walked to the park. He relaxed outside and skipped to the park, smiling up at me.

"Is there a roundabout?" He asked.

"Yes. And a climbing frame."

"Climbing frames are scary." He frowned.

"What if I went on it with you so you didn't fall?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Are there swings?"

"Is it a park if they don't have swings?" I teased and he smiled.

"Play with me?" He asked, as we reached the park.

"Of course."

He pulled me towards the swings and I smiled as he giggled.

"Higher." He demanded.

"We can't go any higher." I explained. "Unless we do this."

I swept him out of the swing and held him high above my head while he giggled uncontrollably.

"What should we do now?" I asked.

He pulled me around the park and I followed him as he giggled and I spun him around in circles until we collapsed onto the grass giggling.

He leaned his head on my chest and smiled up at me.

"I love you, Lizzie." He said.

"I love you too, Leo." I replied. I wrapped him in a hug and held him close, thinking about how much I wanted to stay a part of their lives.

~*~

"I don't want to go home just yet." Leo said as we walked back from the park.

"No?"