Chapter ten: Lizzie

I finished putting the shopping away and checked the time. I had almost an hour before I needed to pick the kids up.

Picking the black dress up again, I got my sewing kit out. I tweaked the hem so it wasn't so tight and slipped it over my head. I took a picture and sent it to Josh. 

Told you this thing wouldn't fit. I typed. 

It felt strange picking out outfits. I hadn't been on a date in so long and standing in front of the mirror brought back memories of my early twenties. A pre-marriage, pre-kids, pre-responsibilities time.

I eyed my rack of shoes apprehensively. I hadn't worn heels in years. Maybe the black boots with the kitten heel? Or I could play it safe and wear flats?

I eyed myself in the mirror and shook my head. This didn't feel right. It didn't feel like me.

I plucked out some jeans and a sleeveless black top. Much better.

My phone buzzed and I looked down to see Josh's message.

Looking good

I laughed before changing and sending him a new picture.

He sent me a sad face and I chuckled.

Just kidding, you look good in everything.

I smiled at the wink emoji he sent. He was still such a flirt after all these years.

I changed back into my usual mum clothes and hung the outfit back up. Glancing at the time again.

I made a coffee and sank onto the sofa, wondering what we could do this evening. Make cookies? Set up a den in the garden?

I headed to the kitchen and peeked in the cupboard, we had all the ingredients to make cookies. I got everything out and left it on the side.

I switched the radio on and picked up my sketchpad again, flicking through my sketches. I sipped my coffee and traced the outline of my latest superhero.

I looked at my completed folder that was about to be sent off to some aspiring children's writer and sighed.

There was something so nerve-wracking about sending my work off and having it viewed and judged and criticised. I felt so vulnerable.

My phone buzzed and I looked up. Time to pick up the twins.

~*~

I stood in the crowd, looking for my boys. A beautiful little girl bounced out of the building, her plaits swinging around her face. A young woman bent down and swept her up, and I couldn't help but feel the slightest twinge of jealousy.

I would have loved a daughter. I used to imagine myself with a little girl who I could dress up in pretty dresses and style her hair differently every day.

I wouldn't change my boys for anything, but I would have adored a little girl who I could take shopping for dresses and have lunch with.

"Hey." Archer said, making me jump. I turned around to see him smiling.

"Hey." I said.

"You ready for your date tomorrow?" He asked.

"Yep. I'm going to get the kids' approval when we get home."

He grinned. "You still ok to babysit tomorrow evening?"

"Sure. I was thinking of taking them to the park after school." I said. "They can have a sleepover if you pack their pyjamas and a change of clothes in their school bag."