Chapter twenty-two: Lizzie

That evening, it was really quiet and it gave me time to worry about Archer. He was a very private person. Easily hurt. I just wished he would open up to me, but I knew he would. He just needed some time to process whatever it was he was going through.

I picked up a book and tried to read, missing my boys. Now the girls were gone the place seemed unnaturally quiet without them. I put my music on loud so that I could hear it throughout the house and settled back amongst the cushions, but my mind kept drifting from my book and back to Archer.

I couldn't help but think of the last time he rejected my help. I needed him to open up to someone. I didn't care if it wasn't me. I just needed him to trust someone with what was going through his mind. He worked too hard. That was his problem. He worked too hard and tried so hard to be the perfect father, perfect friend, perfect colleague. He exhausted himself.

On the other hand, I kept thinking back to my date with Charlie and savouring the wonderful evening we had had. I kept replaying it in my head. Drawing together. Talking. Dancing in the rain. Everything had been so perfect. A calm in the storm that was parenthood. I caught myself smiling from time to time, thinking about him. About the look he had given me. About his soft lips and how much I wanted him to kiss me with those lips. I realized I hadn't felt this way in years.

My phone buzzed, snapping me out of my daydream and I saw a message from Josh. Luke's sick.

I groaned and stood up. I love him but when it came to sickness and injuries, Josh was absolutely useless.

What's the matter? I asked. Have you tried giving him painkillers? Has he had too much time in the sun?

I don't know.

I switched the music off and rang him.

"He's got a fever and keeps throwing up." Josh informed me before even saying hello.

"Have you tried giving him water?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Is he sleeping?"

"Not right now."

"Did he sleep last night?"

"No."

"Has he been sick in the night?" I asked.

"Yes."

"You're just telling me this now?" I groaned. "Could it be something he ate?"

"I don't know." Josh sounded panicked and I remembered how much he hated looking after the kids when they were sick. It wasn't that he didn't help, he just had a very weak stomach and their symptoms made him nauseous. After a day, he'd succumb to illness too.

"Is Tessa there?"

"She's trying to get him to take some painkillers and water."

"Is he eating?"

"No. He keeps asking for you. He's crying."

"Right, ok. I'll be there soon." I said. "Just keep giving him water. Maybe get an icepack for the fever."

"Ok. Thanks, Liz."

I hung up and stood up, heading towards the front door, all thoughts of Archer gone at least for now as I worried about my youngest.

I knocked on Josh's door and Tessa answered almost immediately.

"Hi. How is he?" I asked.

"He's scared. I've tried giving him a cuddle and some iced water, but he won't stop crying."