Chapter thirty-four: Lizzie

"Can we invite Leo to play today?" The twins begged when they ran downstairs. 

"We have swimming lessons after school." I said, patiently. 

"After swimming?" Luke asked. 

"I don't know." I hesitated. "It'll be half five by the time we get back." 

"Can't he come over for tea?" Liam pleaded. 

I faltered. 

"I'll ring Charlie and ask." I caved. 

The twins jumped up and down excitedly. 

"I'm not making any promises." I said, but I doubt they actually heard me. 

I smiled. It was nice that they got on so well with Leo and it was even better that I got to spend more time with Charlie. And why is that, Liz? Is it because you love him? A voice in my head asked. 

"I don't know." I murmured out loud. 

"Don't know what, Mummy?" Liam asked, looking up at me. 

I laughed. 

"Nothing, baby." I wrapped my arms around the boys and rocked them back and forth. 

"Ok, let's get ready for school." I said. "I'll ring Charlie whilst you get dressed." 

The pair ran upstairs and I heard them bickering whilst I went upstairs and showered and dressed. I headed back downstairs to make breakfast. 

My phone rang and I answered it. 

"Hey." Charlie said. 

"I was going to call you." I said, surprised. 

"Yeah?" 

"Yeah, are you free this afternoon?" 

"Yeah." 

"The boys want Leo to come over for a playdate." I explained. "If he wants to, he can come over and I can make him dinner. What does he like? You're more than welcome to come too." 

"That sounds great." He said. "Could I bring my daughter with me, too?" 

"Sure. It would be great to meet her." I said. "Is spag bol ok?"

"That's great."

"See you at six?" 

"Perfect." He said.

I hung up and the boys looked at me as a goofy smile spread over my face.

"Leo's coming over this evening." I explained.

The boys cheered and capered around the room.

"But only if you get yourselves ready for school." I said, before they got overexcited.

They hesitated for a minute.

"Come on, teeth, dressed, bags. Go, go, go." I clapped my hands as they ran out of the room and up the stairs.

I leaned back in my chair and rested my eyes for a minute, soaking in the silence. I couldn't fight my smile at seeing Charlie again and I could almost hear Archer's voice in my head.

When a girl likes you, her mouth smiles. When she loves you her body smiles.

My whole body was smiling right now, it fizzed with excitement and I wanted to twirl around the room like a teenager on her first date.

Be careful, Lizzie. Don't fall too hard. That's how you crash and burn.

But I wasn't falling. No. I was floating. Up, up, up. Surely nothing could go wrong?