Chapter forty-one: Lizzie

Charlie was sat with his head in his hands when we got back and Leo bolted into his arms.

"Hey querido." He murmured, kissing his son on the forehead. "Did you have a nice time?"

Leo nodded and Charlie looked up and smiled at me as Leo started telling him what we had done.

"Thank you for looking after him." He murmured.

"Not a problem. We had a lovely day. How did things go here?"

"She's refusing to come out of her room." He murmured.

I nodded.

"I don't know how to help her with this." He whispered. "There's only so much I can say. Only so much I can try and understand."

I hesitated.

"I know someone who could help. He could explain the dangers from experience, it might sink in." I murmured. "But I don't know if she'll want to listen to him."

"Do you think he'd want to help?" He asked, looking up.

"He would if I asked."

"Then please ask him." He whispered. "Because I don't know if I can do this alone."

"You won't." I promised. "I won't let that happen."

I stood up to call Archer and wondered if I was doing the right thing. Did I have the right to get involved in something I didn't even belong to yet?

~*~

"Hey." Archer smiled.

"Hey, Arch." I sighed. "Thanks for coming over."

"What's the matter?" He embraced me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Maddie needs some help."

"Maddie?"

"Charlie's daughter."

He nodded and frowned. "Why did you call me?"

"Because you might be able to understand her." I said, vaguely.

"Ok..."

He looked confused and followed me through to the living room where Charlie was resting with his head in his hands.

He looked up and smiled at Archer.

"Hey." He murmured.

"Hi." Archer replied, sitting down. "What's wrong?"

"Maddie needs help." He said.

Archer looked back at me.

"She's misusing alcohol." I explained. "And she won't talk to us about it."

He nodded and ran a hand through his hair.

"Where is she?" He asked.

"Upstairs." Charlie responded softly. "She's in the last room on the left."

Archer nodded and hesitated before going upstairs.

I was surprised Charlie let an unknown man go upstairs unsupervised after everything. Archer would have been two steps behind them. No wonder he hesitated.

"I trust him." He said in answer to my unspoken question. "Because you do."

I felt my heart melt a little.

I watched Charlie as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Do you think he'll be able to get through to her?" He asked.

"Maybe." I said. "But she has to want to listen."

He paced back and forth for a while before heading towards the stairs. I looked at the boys before following him.