Chapter thirty-three: Charlie

"Did you enjoy playing with Luke and Liam today?" I asked Leo as we walked home.

He nodded.

"Can you tell them apart?" I questioned.

"Luke is smaller." He said. "And has darker eyes."

'He does?"

He nodded.

Personally, I thought they looked identical but I didn't argue with my son. Besides, if he was right then that made it easier to remember who was who.

"Do you like Lizzie?" He asked, unexpectedly.

"Yeah. I do."

"Do you like her the same way you liked Mamá?" He asked.

"Not exactly." I said, carefully. "This is a different kind of relationship to what I had with your mamá."

"How?"

I looked at him, wondering why he was asking all these grown-up questions.

"Your mamá and I were much younger. Whereas what I have with Lizzie is more... mature."

He nodded and I wondered if he understood.

Don't underestimate our son. Jasmine said. Kids understand much more than we give them credit for.

I smiled.

"Do you like Lizzie?" I asked.

He nodded. "I told you already."

"What do you like about her?"

He thought for a moment.

"She looks like a good storyteller." He said.

"Yeah?"

"And she's fun." He said.

"Am I fun?"

"Sometimes."

That's fair. After Jasmine passed away I had to become more responsible and I lost the carefree ways of my youth. Sometimes I missed the man I used to be.

"Papá, can I play with them again?" He asked.

I smiled.

"Of course. We just have to see when you are all free and then we can arrange a playdate." I promised.

There was a knock on the door and Leo smiled.

"Uncle Seb!" He said.

"How do you know it's Uncle Seb?" I asked, heading towards the door.

He shrugged and smiled as Sebastian walked in.

"Hey, there's my boy!" He said, as Leo ran towards him. "How're you doing?"

He picked up my son and kissed his cheek, whilst Leo smiled.

"Uncle Seb come and play Legos with me!" He said.

"Sure thing, lil man." He carried him into the living room where I followed them.

The pair upturned the box of Legos onto the floor and Sebastian lay on the carpet, following Leo's instructions.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Dropping in to see my niece and nephew, obviously." He said.

"Shouldn't you be at work?"

"You're not the only one who can skip work and be a lazy bum." He said.

"Gee, thanks." I muttered.

"You're welcome." He didn't look up from making his Lego house. "So how was your date with the hot mama?"