Chapter twenty-six

Lizzie's POV

I woke up on Friday, eyes sparkling. I put my music on and danced around the room, picking out an outfit. My phone buzzed.

Can't wait to see you later. Charlie x

I laughed and jumped into the shower, expecting the sound to wake my boys up if they weren't already. Rummaging through my wardrobe, I looked up as the boys ran into my room.

"Hey boys." I smiled. "What should I wear today?"

I held up two options and let the boys pick. Dressing in jeans and a deep red silky t-shirt, I ushered the boys to get dressed and brush their teeth.

"Can we have a special breakfast?" They asked.

"If we have time, we can stop at McDonald's or something and we'll get a snack." I told them, realising as I said it that even if we didn't have time we would have to do this or they would get upset. Oops.

I rushed them out of the door, picking up their bags and packed lunches, and strapping them in the car.

"Let's go." I drove to McDonalds and picked up a breakfast for the boys to share, before driving them to school.

"Remember I'm picking you up after school and then Daddy will pick you up from home?" I told the boys, who ate their breakfast, completely unconcerned.

I dropped them off and waved to them as they ran into school, their bags dragging behind them.

"Have a good day." I said to nothing before driving home.

Looking in the mirror, I fixed my appearance so I didn't look quite so bedraggled and checked the time. I had a couple of hours before I needed to go and I fought back a smile. I haven't felt this way since I met Josh.

I couldn't help pacing the floor, wondering why it felt like my heart was doing somersaults like a teenager. I put music on to drown out the sound of my heart beating fast.

There was something about Charlie that made me nervous. He was a lovely man and everything that I deserved. But she would always come first for him. She was his first love. His true love. And I accepted that. Of course I did. It wasn't their fault their time was cut short.

But it wouldn't come between us, right?

Don't be silly. What you have would be different to what they had, yes. But it'll be just as good.

Nothing could ever measure up to your first love. I knew that.

But that didn't make what we could have less real.

Charlie kissed my cheek as I approached and I smiled.

"Hey." He said, gesturing to the seat in front of him.

"Hey."

He twined his fingers around mine and squeezed gently. He didn't say another word, just looked at me with a clear, happy expression.

"It's good to see you." He said.

I smiled and squeezed his hand in agreement.

"Did you figure out that drawing?" I asked.

He smiled. "I'm working on it."

My heart skipped again and I got this urge to kiss him. I brushed it away. Careful Lizzie. I reminded myself. You don't want to scare him away.

*

Charlie's POV

She watched me and I wondered why my heart wouldn't stop fluttering. A part of me wanted to jump up and run, go and find Jasmine's grave and crawl in beside her. Ignoring the rest of the world.

But then she smiled.

You don't want to lose her. Jasmine said. I know you're scared, but don't let your fear ruin this for both of you.

Ok Jas. I won't.

"Hey." She said, reaching out and squeezing my hand. "Are you ok?"

"Sure." I smiled. "How have you been?"

"Good. How are your kids?"

"They're ok." I said. "Maddie wants this to work out."

Why did I say that?

She smiled. "She does?"

I nodded. "She says she wants me to be happy again."

"You deserve to be happy." She said.

I nodded. "That's what Jasmine would want."

She smiled. "Of course."

"How are your boys?"

"Bouncy as ever. I'm almost glad Josh is picking them up this evening." She gave a tired grin.

I chuckled. "You look after them by yourself all week?"

She nodded. "I have a bit of help, but mostly, yeah."

I shook my head. "I couldn't do that."

"Haven't you raised your kids alone for years?"

"Yeah, but Maddie was a bit older and she helped me a lot with Leo. She had a magic touch with him, I guess. Always managed to get him smiling." I smiled, remembering. "But looking after twins alone...now that is scary."

She chuckled.

"They have their sweet moments." She grinned.

"So does Josh just get them on weekends or after school?"

"Just weekends. We wanted to keep things consistent for the twins. He picks them up on a Friday or Saturday depending on when he finishes work, and drops them off Sunday afternoon." She said.

"So what do you do whilst they're away?"

"I get all the errands done that I'm unable to do with two boys. Sometimes, I'll meet my friend, Archer, for a drink, but he's a single father with three girls so he's got his hands pretty full."

"Three girls?" I asked. "God help him."

She laughed. "What's wrong with girls?"

"Nothing if you have a mother." I shrugged. "But trying to understand what makes her emotions seesaw up and down is a challenge no man is ever prepared for."

She chuckled.

"How old are they?" I asked.

"Young. The oldest is in year five."

"So he'll have three teenagers at the same time?" I asked.

She thought. "Yes."

I whistled. "Good luck, Archer."

She laughed. "I'll tell him you said that."

I smiled. "Really, Maddie's great, I love her. But there are times when I wish she had her mother. She'd be so much better informed to help her. She'd be able to answer any of her questions."

She hesitated.

"If she ever wants any help or advice, she could always come to me." She said, slowly, as if ready for me to dismiss it immediately.

I shrugged. "You'd need to meet her first."

She nodded.

"But you could come over." I suggested, hesitantly.

She looked up.

"You sure?"

I nodded. "The kids would love you. You could come over next week if you like."

"I'd love that." She said, and the smile she gave flooded my entire world in colour.