XXXIV. 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫

Jude winced as Mike tightened the cloth wrap around his wound where the bullet grazed him

Jude winced as Mike tightened the cloth wrap around his wound where the bullet grazed him. Mike glanced up. "That hurt?"

"No." Jude lied, checking out his wrapped wound. "Think it'll leave a scar?"

"Uh, yeah." Mike gave a look of disbelief but had to laugh. "Definitely. Most definitely."

Jude glanced over toward a ranting Jonathan, Corey and Will standing with him while El stared at the sign. "Think Max is gonna be okay?"

"Probably." Mike shrugged, leaning against the van while Jude sat inside. "How's Corey?"

"I think he's good. Just feeling guilty." he shrugged slightly. "Unless he was just blown away by my good looks, he was a little shaken up."

"Oh, it was definitely the good looks." Mike joked with a cheeky grin, making Jude give him one back. "What do you think Winkle is doing?"

"Hopefully with my Dad at the diner since he's working nights." he shook his head. "I miss her."

"We'll be home soon." Mike shook his head, touching his hand.

"I don't believe we will." Corey exhaled as he looked at the pair. "Jonathan keeps yelling at the lady on the other side of the phone and she keeps saying no."

"Earliest is tomorrow." Jonathan huffed as he threw the phone back on the line.

"That's way too late." Mike spoke in annoyance as Will cursed.

"Let me talk to her, I bet I can do some convincing." Jude got out of the van and rolled his shirt sleeve down gentle.

"Or beat them with a baseball bat." Corey pointed out.

"That would be plan B." the Mackenzie boy gave a point of his finger.

"Hey, dudes?" Argyle walked their way. "Ask 'em if we can ride in the baggage compartment."

"The baggage compartment?" Jonathan turned to him in disbelief.

"We'd suffocate." Mike looked in disappointment.

"Dogs ride in there all the time, man." Argyle pointed out with a shake of his head.

"Oh my god." Jude's jaw fell slightly. "Seriously?"

"They just let the dogs suffocate?" Corey's eyes doubled in size.

"Jesus Christ." Jonathan pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Holy shit." Mike exhaled.

"I have a way." El walked over with curious eyes.

"A what?" Corey questioned. "Away from who?"

"No, a way to protect Max." El corrected. "From here."

Jude stared at his cousin, raising an eyebrow. "Operation mama?"