Chapter 51

Perhaps because Ha Tae-heon refused to be interviewed, there were no reporters. The atmosphere around the gate, where only officials gathered, was good without any noise.

“The schedule will run for a total of three days, and unless there is nothing else, the queue will remain as it is. We’ll be leaving in 10 minutes. Please check your items carefully.”

Ha Tae-heon, who was at the forefront, finished his briefing. Sitting in the middle of the queue, I waited quietly while others busily organized their equipment.

“Yo.” The man standing next to me and rummaging through his bag called me. “Han Yi-gyeol-ssi, right?”

“Yes.”

“I couldn’t attend the last meeting. Nice to meet you.”

His name is Kim Soo-hwan (김수환), who was a B-rank ability user, held my hand and shook it a couple of times.

“I wanted to meet you after watching the video. I heard you were close with the Requiem Guild Master?”

“We aren’t particularly close…”

“Eh, rumours have spread. Besides, you’re a mercenary. If only I had the ability, I would have been promoted without being affiliated with a guild. It’s a dream.”

Even though I didn’t respond much, Kim Soo-hwan chimed in with excitement. As the departure time approached, he put a bunch of chocolate in my hand.

“Do you like sweets? It’s for when you enter the gate and you feel tired and stressed. I eat one each time.”

Sweets…

Come to think of it, I hadn’t been able to eat snacks these days, so I was really happy with the chocolate he gave me. When I peeled a piece of chocolate and put it in my mouth, a sweet flavour spread.

“Thank you.”

It felt like I was a little relieved from my gloomy mood. When I smiled sincerely, Kim Soo-hwan also smiled and confidently told me to trust only himself for snacks in the future.

He was a good man. As I rolled a square piece of chocolate into my mouth, I suddenly felt a gaze from the side. When I turned my head, I saw Ha Tae-heon looking at me.

“……?”

I wondered if he had something to say, but Ha Tae-heon immediately turned away from me. What?

“Let’s go!”

The guild member standing next to Ha Tae-heon shouted loudly. After confirming that preparations were complete, Ha Tae-heon went through the gate without hesitation.

Following the line into the gate, I frowned at the bright light.

Thump.

A white, hard marble floor spread wide and in the centre stood a huge statue of a goddess holding a sword. The colourful stained glass surrounding the room shone brilliantly and golden statues with angel wings were seen below it.

“Isn’t it amazing? This is the only gate with this kind of atmosphere.”

“That’s for sure.”

I looked up at the ceiling that was so tall I could not see the end and nodded my head. It felt strange to see goddess statues with delicate patterns and arrogant expressions engraved on the marble walls.

The interior of the gate where monsters appeared was filled with a noble atmosphere.

Ha Tae-heon led everyone past the statue and walked towards the front. After moving for some time, several huge doors suddenly appeared in the pure white mist in front of the goddess statue.