Chapter Three

After dropping off Rihanna, Hunter was in a foul mood. Their discussion had brought back painful memories of his past, those that he didn't want to remember. He hated the word pregnancy after he had found out that his girlfriend of two years, Eva, and his best friend, Mike had been betraying him. She was pregnant with Mike's baby and had begged Hunter to forgive her. Hunter had broken ties with both of them. Both of them deeply hurt him. However, what happened the next day was more traumatic, something that he had never imagined in his worst nightmares ever. He left Arkansas forever. There was nothing left for him in that place.

The next day, he dropped an eager Robbie off at school. He rushed towards the school gates and Hunter drove back to work. His mood hadn't improved at all. Eva and Mike's faces revolved in his head and the betrayal that he had felt three years back was fresh in his mind again. He couldn't concentrate on anything. Thankfully, his housekeeper, Samantha Jones, who had been looking after Robbie for the last three years, took care of everything. He didn't need to bother much.

Robbie sat in his class in the same manner as he had on his first day of school. Rihanna knew instantly that something was up. The enthusiasm and the excitement of the last two days was absent and he was back to how he was on the first day of school. Rihanna started her class as she was late today after the stunt Ryder pulled in the morning when he realized that Anastasia had actually left for LA forever. He was inconsolable and tried to leave the house and go after her but their granny was adamant. She made him understand that you couldn't force someone to love you back so the best thing to do would be to let go and move on. He decided to marry Hailey to forget Anastasia forever.

Throughout the class, Robbie didn't pay any attention to her. He was lost in his own world but what bothered Rihanna was the red mark on his cheek. It looked like he was hit by someone but she wasn't sure. She would need to talk to him after the class was over.

Afterward, it was break time and Rihanna went towards Robbie and sat with him. "Where's your lunch, Robbie?" She asked him. Robbie looked down at his hands as a teardrop fell from his eye.

"What's wrong Robbie? I'm your friend. Won't you tell me?" she asked him gently.

"I didn't bring lunch, Miss Anna, " he said softly, still not looking up.

"Oh, do you want to share my lunch with me? I made it myself and it's yummy," she offered and Robbie looked at her and nodded slightly.

"Wait, I'll go and get my box," she said, getting up to go towards her bag. She took out her lunch box and took it to Robbie's desk. She opened it to show Robbie the chicken sandwiches and potato wedges that she had packed. Robbie licked his lips and picked up a potato wedge. He bit into it and finished it in a second.

"You make yummy food, Miss Anna, " he said, picking up a sandwich and biting into it.

"Thank you, Robbie," she said, picking up a sandwich and eating too.

"Will you make food for me every day?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes, I'd love to," she told him. Robbie smiled for the first time since morning. Rihanna checked the red mark on his cheek from close. Yes, it looked like someone had slapped him. Was it his uncle? She had to find out. It wasn't right to hit a small child this way.

"Your cheek looks red, Robbie. Did anyone hurt you? You can tell me. I'm your friend and I want to protect you," said Rihanna, feeling concerned about the little boy now.

"I can't tell you, Miss Anna, " said Robbie, looking scared.

Rihanna was suspicious by now. Was the child being abused in some way? "Tell me, Robbie. I'll protect you. I'll take care of you," said Rihanna, gently.