Chapter Twenty-Two

The next day at school, Rihanna waited eagerly for Robbie and Hunter. Her face brightened when she saw Robbie getting down from Hunter's truck, but to her surprise, instead of Hunter, Gemma got down to see him off. She instantly knew that Hunter might be upset. Robbie came inside the class with a smile on his face. "Good morning, Miss Anna," he greeted her with a secret smile on his face. She was surprised that he remembered.

"Good morning, Robbie," she greeted him with a smile. Robbie looked happy, and she felt relieved. Although she wanted to know about his uncle Hunt, she would look weird asking him about it. So she started her class as usual, hoping that Hunter would come around after school to fetch Robbie. It was lunchtime, and she had to give equal attention to all her students, but she went up to Robbie to have a talk with him.

"Did you sleep well last night, Robbie?" she asked him softly. Robbie nodded.

"I did, but uncle Hunt didn't. He drank bad water and Gemma was mad at him," said Robbie innocently, telling her what she was dying to know.

"Hmm," she said, worried about Hunter.

"Gemma said uncle Hunt needs a scolding from you. Will you come home to scold him, mo.. I mean, Miss Anna?" Rihanna was amazed at how the little boy corrected himself.

"Not today, Robbie," said Rihanna. If she went, her granddad and dad would be furious. "Maybe over the weekend. "

"Yeah, we could go somewhere again," Robbie said excitedly. Rihanna nodded and went to another student of hers who needed her attention. She knew if she spent the night together with them, there would surely be problems for her at her house. Classes resumed and then soon was over. Gemma again came to pick him up with an apologetic smile on her face, as if she knew Rihanna was waiting to see Hunter.

Rihanna couldn't stop herself from asking about Hunter. "What's up with him?" she asked her.

"He's down with fever since morning, Anna," said Gemma. Rihanna couldn't stay away any longer. Her face paled and her heart constricted with worry.

"Oh, has he taken medicine?" she asked with concern.

"No, he went to work with his fever. He fell from his horse while training it," said Gemma, looking mad already. "I'm tired of him. Why don't you marry him already and relieve me?" she said, flailing her arms helplessly.

"How do you know he wants to marry me?" she asked with pink cheeks.

Gemma rolled her eyes. "She asks me how I know!" she said with disbelief. "That's all he said since last night, after pouring all that whiskey down his throat." Rihanna's jaws dropped.

After Gemma left with Robbie, she collected her stuff and drove home. Quickly showering and changing into a flowing, knee length light blue knitted dress, she picked up her mobile, handbag, and car keys.

Her mom's jaws dropped upon seeing her. "You came in just now, didn't you? Where are you off to again?" she asked with concern.

"Mom, Hunter's very sick. He doesn't have anyone to look after him. Robbie's too small and alone. I need to go and at least give him some medicine and get him to his feet. Please mom. I have to stay over tonight. I'll come back home after school tomorrow," said Rihanna. Her mom sighed.

"I don't know Anna. Your dad won't like it at all," she told her.

"Mom, I'm twenty-six and not sixteen. Please, I know what I'm doing," she said with frustration. Why couldn't they just leave her in peace? Her mom shrugged.

"Fine, go then if you have to," she said, not looking pleased at all. Rihanna didn't stay to convince her. Her heart wanted to see Hunter, and she just rushed out to her car. Starting her car, she drove off towards Robbie's house, her heartbeats speeding up at the thought of spending time with Hunter again.