Chapter Thirteen

Rihanna was struck by the longing in his tone. "I didn't say that, " she said with a blush, looking everywhere but at him.

"But it's evident," he said, looking so lovesick that Rihanna wanted to grab him and hold him in her arms and kiss the daylights out of him. How dare he disappear on her for a week!

"I do care about many others," she said in her defense.

"Like? Apart from your family, of course," he said, watching her expectantly.

"Like Gemma, " she said with a giggle. Hunter looked at her with disbelief and rolled his eyes.

"Okay, I've got the idea," he groaned. Rihanna saw he brought Black Fury along with him. Was he expecting her to ride back with him?

"You didn't tell him what happened? Is Robbie sick?" she asked looking a little worried.

"No," he said, kicking a pebble, looking a little uncomfortable.

"Oh, then why didn't he come to school?" she asked now very puzzled by his strange behavior.

"He was angry with me so we went on a camping trip," he told her. Rihanna nodded but fumed inwardly. They went out to enjoy themselves while here she was fretting over them and missing them. How fair was it? She turned her back towards him not wanting him to read her thoughts.

"I'm sure you both have enjoyed yourselves. What do you need from me?" she asked, ready to walk away. He caught her hand to stop her.

"You," he stated. She whirled around but he was too quick for her. He picked her up in his arms and walked towards his horse. Rihanna gaped at him, too shocked, too frozen to actually think straight. He hoisted her onto his horse as if she weighed like a feather and mounted too, sitting behind her, his body flush against her back. Heat pooled in her core at the warm touch. His arms went around her and his thick, muscular thighs brushed against her slender, tights-clad ones.

"Whoa, Black Fury, go boy!" he ordered, holding onto the reigns as Black Fury started a steady gallop all the way towards his ranch. Rihanna looked at her pink sweater, and tights with dismay. He could have at least let her change. What was the hurry? Thankfully her mobile phone was in her pocket and she could inform her mom where she was. She was sure her whole family had seen the scene through the windows. She blushed crimson at the thought. She was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed where Hunter had brought her.

Suddenly the horse stopped and Rihanna looked around. It was the same creek where they had lost themselves last Saturday. Her eyes widened at the implication. Hunter got down and tied Black Fury in the same way as before. He helped her down but released her the moment he set her down as if stung. He went to sit on a boulder beside the creek avoiding looking at her. Now what happened? She quietly sat beside him.

"I'm sorry, Hunter. I didn't mean what I said to you, " she whispered. He turned to look at her, his eyes glittering with a strange emotion.

"Then why did you say it?" he asked her in a hoarse voice his eyes scanning her face as if committing it to his memory.

"I was scared that someone would see us."

"No one comes here, it's my special place. I've come here regularly for the last three years and have never seen a soul come here," said Hunter, looking around. Rihanna nodded. So this was his special place.

"This place looks special," she said, looking around.

"You didn't answer my question, " he pointed out.

"What question?" she asked him.

"Do you only care about Robbie and Gemma?" he asked, playing with a stone with his feet. He looked so vulnerable that Rihanna couldn't deny him anymore. Of course, she cared about him and not Gemma.