Chapter Twenty-Eight

Rihanna couldn't help the tears that fell down her cheeks. "Is Hunter sending Robbie away forever?" She gasped for air as she tried to get a grip on herself. No wonder the poor boy was traumatized and unwell from the distress.

"Yes, they were supposed to leave this morning, but Robbie fell violently sick and refused to calm down. So Hunter had no choice but to take him to you." Rihanna wiped her tears away. She'd had enough. She would now have to talk to Hunter. He couldn't do this to Robbie. It would break the little boy's spirit forever.

"Where's Hunter?" she asked, breathing in and out to calm herself before she faced Hunter.

"Hunter doesn't come home any more. He lives at the ranch where he has his training pens. He only comes home when I call him," said Gemma. This was news to Rihanna. She had no idea that Hunter didn't come home anymore. So that was the reason she had never met Hunter whenever she came here.

"I'll go there and see him. Where is his ranch?" asked Rihanna. Gemma gave her the directions. It seemed it was quite a distance from his home, although on the same property. She wouldn't be able to walk that far.

"Here, you can take Hunter's truck. It's impossible to walk down that far," said Gemma, handing her the keys to Hunter's truck. Rihanna took them and walked out, determined to put some sense in Hunter's head. She drove down the narrow dusty trail, leaving his home far behind, through the lush flowery meadows of Whispering Meadows Ranch.

As she drove on, she could clearly make out the huge fenced stud farm ahead with separate interconnected structures. She parked the truck and walked on the concrete road that led towards what looked like a main structure with an office on one section and the Veterinary and laboratory areas in the other section.

Beside it on either side were structures housing a sprawling breeding unit, stallion barns, mare boxes, foaling paddocks with foliage and hay facilities. Beyond were huge exercise yards and the training pens. The whole place was set up on the banks of the Bearhead Creek, which meandered all the way from Wild Creek Ranch.

She was impressed by everything she saw, knowing that Hunter had built the place all on his own in the last three years. It was clear why he was the best horse breeder and trainer. The whole place looked alive with people busy with their own work, and no one seemed to give her much attention.

She walked towards the door of the building marked 'Office'. The door gave way, and she pushed it open and peered inside. There was no one inside, but the place did smell like Hunter. So she had come to the right place. Going inside, she looked around but couldn't find Hunter there. Where could he be? Was he outside at the other facilities? She was about to go out and look for him when she heard Hunter swearing from behind a closed door.

Curious, she went to inspect the door. Was it a washroom? No, it didn't look like one. She pushed the door open and cautiously peered inside. It looked like a man's room. So maybe Hunter lived here when he didn't go home. But why?

She pushed the door further open and the stench of alcohol hit her. Then she saw a haggard-looking Hunter going through some papers sitting on the floor. There were empty beer and whiskey bottles everywhere. He didn't look normal at all now that she saw him from so close. He suddenly looked up and froze, seeing her.

"What the f*ck are you doing here? Get out," he yelled, his eyes red with fury. Rihanna was momentarily stunned at his outburst. Hunter got up and walked menacingly towards her. "Why have you come here? Robbie needed you. Just take care of him and go away," he gritted out.

"I took care of him already. I want to know why you're sending Robbie away. You're breaking the child's heart. You're killing him this way. Robbie loves you, can't you see it? He's not sick because of any other physical problem. He's suffering from mental anxiety and the only cause is you," she pointed out, feeling mad at him already.

Hunter came closer to her, his eyes flashing menacingly as he pointed his finger at her accusingly. "You're the major cause, Rihanna, not me. I'm a broken man and I'm hanging on the brink of sanity. How can I handle a disturbed child on my own? I sought psychological help, but no one can help us. Robbie only needs you to get normal and so do I. For months I begged you, pleaded with you to save Robbie, but you didn't help us. I'm doing what I can to save him. He'll have a stable life with his mom's family looking after him. He'll forget me soon and get better. I'm doing this for his own good," said Hunter, turning his back towards her.

Rihanna froze at his words. They were true. She was selfishly thinking about herself and what would happen to her, but not once did she think of Robbie? She should have considered what impact her declining to marry Hunter would have upon Robbie. It was Robbie's dream to have a happy family with her, but she had killed that dream for her own selfish reasons.

"This is the last time I'll be bothering you, Rihanna. After this, you'll be free from us," said Hunter, slowly turning to face her. Rihanna's face paled at his words.

"Please don't send him away. He'll die," she whispered. Hunter stood still and looked down at the floor, not saying a word. "Please, I beg of you, Hunter."

"It's of no use, Rihanna. I don't have a choice. I'll ask one of the ranch hands to take you to Wild Creek Ranch. Goodbye Rihanna. Have a happy life."

He walked out of the office before Rihanna could fathom what he had just said. Her eyes filled up with tears, which cascaded down her cheeks. She couldn't believe that Hunter had just thrown her out of their lives forever.

"You could have told me once that you love me, Hunter. Even if you would have lied, I would have laid down my life for you," she sobbed brokenly, slumping into a chair nearby. But she knew that this was not about herself anymore. There was a small child involved. A child whose happiness lay in her hands, a child who called her 'mommy'.

She swore she would do anything in her power to help Robbie, even if it meant marrying Hunter and sacrificing her life. Yes, she would marry Hunter for Robbie's sake if that would stop Hunter from sending Robbie away. She wiped her eyes and stood up when a ranch hand peeped into the office.

"Miss? Hunter asked me to drop you off at your house. Are you comin?" he asked in a pleasant voice. Rihanna nodded.

"Yes," she said, handing him the keys to Hunter's truck. She climbed in and he started driving. "You can drive me to Hunter's house instead."

"Hunter would be angry with me, miss. He asked me to drive you home."

"No, he won't. Just drive me to his home," she insisted. Her decision was made and she wouldn't change her mind, come what may. The man drove her to Hunter's house. She thanked him and went inside to find a distraught Robbie throwing tantrums while a tired Gemma stood watching him helplessly.

"Robbie? What's wrong?" she said, walking inside and picking him up in her arms. Robbie clung to her and sobbed.

"I don't want to go, mommy. Uncle Hunt is sending me away," he howled brokenly.

"No sweetie. No one will send you away. I won't let you go. I've come here to stay with you forever." She stroked his hair and back to calm him down.

Gemma's eyes widened at the realization and she smiled happily, but mostly with relief. Robbie calmed down considerably and released her, getting down from her arms. Rihanna sat down on the sofa and Robbie sat next to her.

"Really mommy? You'll stay here with me forever? You won't go to your own mommy?" he asked innocently, his eyes mirroring the pure ecstasy in his heart.

"Yes, I'll live with you forever. I won't go back to my mommy," she promised. Robbie jumped up to do his happy dance, being his happy self again.

"Yay, mommy's staying. Mommy, let's unpack my toys and clothes and put them back before uncle Hunt arrives." Rihanna nodded and got up to help him. In fact, even Gemma helped, and soon all the stuff was back in their own places.

"Does Hunter know that you're staying here forever?" asked Gemma, curiously.

"No, he doesn't. He's too angry to even talk to me."

"I can solve that. I'll call him in the evening and ask him to stay the night with Robbie here. Once he comes home, you can speak to him," said an excited Gemma.