Chapter Eight

"Anna, there's someone waiting outside to meet you," said Aunt Katherine, who was her uncle Kevin's wife. Their children, Russell, Rowland, and River, lived in Las Vegas, where they looked after their hotel business.

Rihanna was surprised. It was evening and who would wait outside for her? She didn't have many friends. She walked out of the kitchen towards the front door. Opening it, she peered outside curiously and saw a worried hunter waiting outside. It was then she remembered she had promised Robbie that she would go to his house and cook for him if free.

"Hunter?" she asked.

"Robbie's crying non-stop for you. He's uncontrollable, Rihanna. Did you promise him you would come home?" asked a worried Hunter.

"Yes, I told him that I would go if I'm free," said Rihanna.

"Are you free?" asked Hunter, hopefully.

"Yes," said Rihanna.

"Then come home, please." Rihanna's breath got stuck in her throat, noting the pleading look in his eyes.

"I'll just change and come out in a minute," said Rihanna. "Why don't you come inside?" she offered.

"No, I'm fine here," he said awkwardly. She rushed inside and changed into a flannel dress paired with boots. She had no idea why she chose a dress rather than her signature jeans and shirt combination. Combing her hair neatly into a bun, she picked up her handbag and went out of her room.

"Mom, granny, I'm going out to see a student who's unwell. I might be late, " she informed, before rushing out. The moment she went out, she could feel Hunter's hot gaze upon her, taking her in from head to foot. It made Rihanna acutely conscious of herself as she climbed onto the passenger seat beside him.

"Ready? Shall we go?" he asked in a raspy drawl.

"Yes," Rihanna nodded.

"You look better with your hair down," he said and Rihanna looked at him with disbelief. Did he really say that to her? Hunter smiled and turned away to start his car. He had no idea how he said his thoughts out loud. What she must think of him now?

"Robbie was expecting you tonight, I think. He didn't understand you. He thought you were free to come home," said Hunter, trying to change the topic.

"It's alright. It's actually my fault. I was free but it completely escaped my mind and I started helping Mom with dinner," she admitted, apologetically. Hunter smiled. He couldn't tell her that more than Robbie he was the one who had been going crazy all afternoon waiting for her to come home.

"So, you like to cook, huh?" he asked with interest.

"Yes," she answered.

"When will you teach me?" he asked her, briefly glancing in her direction.

"Let's see," she said, feeling a little self-conscious after that comment. He drove through the marketplace.

"How's Robbie doing with your new housekeeper?" she asked curiously.

"She isn't new actually. She has worked for us as a replacement when Samantha was unavailable. Robbie was never this rude to her before but now he's refusing to cooperate, " said Hunter with concern. He looked tired and worried. Rihanna felt bad for him.

"I'll talk to him, tonight, don't worry," she reassured him.

"Yes, please. He'll listen to you." He drove through the gates of his ranch and parked his car inside his garage. Robbie came running out of the house followed by Gemma.

"Miss Anna, why didn't you come early? I waited for you for so long?" said an upset Robbie with dried-up tears on his face.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm here now. Come here," she said as Robbie went closer and hugged her around her waist. She picked him up in her arms and they all walked into the house.