Chapter Nine

After hearing that, Rihanna had no other excuse for not staying over.

"Hunter, eat a little. No sleeping on an empty stomach," she ordered him and he rolled his eyes at her, but strangely, he didn't object at all. She served him a little food and sat down opposite him to eat her dinner.

"Are you staying?" asked Hunter, before even touching his fork as if he was trying to blackmail her into staying.

"Yes, Miss Anna, you have to stay," said Robbie. "Uncle Hunt won't eat anything if you don't, " said Robbie as he and his uncle shared a look of conspiracy. Rihanna gaped at the two.

"Do I have a choice?" she asked, and they both shook their heads.

"No," they chorused.

"Then I'll have to stay, I guess," shrugged Rihanna, concentrating on her food. Hunter too started eating. In fact, he served himself a second and a third helping too. Rihanna shook her head. So did his lack of appetite have something to do with her? He didn't look very sick after her announcement. In fact, he looked relieved. Although she had bravely declared her intention of staying the night, she was apprehensive of what would happen next. Would Hunter again sleep with her like he had done the other day? Why did he look so happy? But what was more important was why did he buy her a shop full of clothes. He couldn't expect her to be staying here forever? These were questions that she didn't have any answers to. Seeing Hunter in a better mood didn't relax her at all. In fact, it made her all the more apprehensive of what was in store for her at night. It was impossible to gauge what was going on in his mind.

For the next few minutes, she listened to Robbie's excited talk about what games he wanted to play with her before retiring for the night. He started planning what stories he wanted to hear from her. It was a long list and Rihanna smiled at him indulgently. At last, dinner was over and she cleared the table and rinsed the dishes. Although Hunter wanted to help, she could see that he was clumsy around the kitchen. It was better that she finished the work quickly. She went to Robbie's room and he pulled her towards his closet.

"These are all for you. Do you like them, Miss Anna?" asked Robbie excitedly. Rihanna's mouth hung open at the huge collection of dresses nearly arranged in front of her. There were all sorts of clothes. She picked up a pair of sweatpants and a cami top to sleep in.

"Yes, I like them but why there are so many!" she gasped.

Robbie gave her a duh look. She knew from his face that he was expecting her to stay over every night. Was Hunter too expecting the same? Surprisingly he had disappeared to his room after dinner and Rihanna had no idea why she missed his presence. Every time her eyes flew to the door of Robbie's room to check whether he had come in or not but he hadn't. She carried the clothes to the en-suite to change. After five minutes, she was ready for bed. She found an eager Robbie too waiting for her on the bed wearing his night suit.

"Miss Anna, can you read out to me two bedtime stories from this book?" he asked, showing her a book. Rihanna nodded and climbed in with him. She read out from the book as Robbie cuddled into her, resting his head against her arm. Every time a story was finished, the request for another came up. Robbie had an unbelievable amount of energy it seemed. He heard at least eight stories when she felt Robbie's head droop on her arm. She continued for five more minutes till Robbie was fast asleep. She lay him down on his bed and tucked him properly. She got up to switch off the main lights and then lay down beside him but she was restless. She hadn't seen Hunter even once after dinner and it was a little strange. Deep within her heart, she wanted to see him, she wanted him to sleep cuddling her.

After tossing and turning for an hour, Rihanna got up. Her heart was restless and without checking on Hunter, she just couldn't sleep. "I'm just worried about him, that's all. He's unwell and I should check whether he needs something, " she mumbled in her mind. Of course, there was no other reason for her to be restless.

She opened the door and walked out towards the kitchen. She knew Hunter's room was one room away from Robbie's but she just couldn't walk straight in, could she? She picked up a bottle of water and turned to go back to Robbie's room. The house was eerily quiet. Where the hell was Hunter? The lights in his room were on. Didn't he go to bed yet? Should she go and check? Deep in thought, she walked back absent-mindedly towards Robbie's room through the dimly lit living room when she collided with a hard chest. The bottle fell from her hands with fright.

A hand clamped gently over her mouth to stop her from screaming. Her panicked eyes looked up into Hunter's eyes as he stared down at her. His arm went around her waist as he pinned her to his body. "Why are you roaming about in the dark?" he asked in a hoarse voice, his hand leaving her mouth. Rihanna placed her hands on his muscular chest to distance herself from him but couldn't. He was really made of steel. She couldn't tell him that she was roaming around to check up on him.

"I needed water," she whispered, looking at his chest. "Where were you?" It just escaped her mouth before she could check herself. A faint smile played on his lips as his eyes stared at her intensely as if trying to read her mind.

"Why? Did you miss me, Rihanna?" he asked, his hand coming up to tuck a stray curl behind her ear. She had loosened her hair from her bun and now it was cascading down her back just as he had said he liked. Why? She had no idea! A shot of electric current spread all over her body at his tender caress.

"Um, I just asked. No no, I wasn't waiting for you, at all," she said as her face heated up and her heart started beating faster than ever.

"I was waiting for you to be free," he told her in a husky voice which caused goosebumps to erupt on her skin.

"Why?" she asked hesitantly.

"Can't you understand why?" he asked as he caressed her cheek with his index finger, trailing from her ear towards her lips.

"No, I don't know what you're talking about," she whispered, looking up into his eyes. Her heartbeats accelerated more as if it would jump out of her body.

"If you don't know then why did you agree to stay?" he asked hoarsely. Rihanna knew why she stayed over but she couldn't tell the real reason to him. She knew that he needed her to sleep more than Robbie did. His condition was worse than Robbie's although he would never accept it. Deep in her heart, she wanted to be there for him, she wanted to help him. Why? She didn't know. Maybe out of humanity.

"I agreed because of Robbie, " she lied, looking down at his chest again.

"Liar," he whispered, his finger going to her chin to compel her to look at him. She did and was lost seeing his eyes reflecting the dark desire that was burning both of them alike.

"I'm not," she protested, looking away.

"Look into my eyes and tell me that you're not attracted to me as I am to you?" he whispered, lowering his head a little leaving only a few inches between them.

"Hunter," she started but he placed a finger against her mouth, tracing her lips with his rough thumb. "Please go to sleep," she whispered, closing her eyes at the feel of his warm finger on her lips.

"I need you to sleep," he said in a husky tone. "Let me sleep with you?" he asked, his eyes hooked onto her lips as his thumb continued its torture. She nodded. Of course, she wanted that too.

"Say it, tell me. Will you sleep with me?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes, " she whispered back. "In Robbie's room, please."

"No, his bed is too small. I'll bring him to my room. You wait for me," he said, looking relieved and releasing her. Rihanna felt disappointed when he walked towards Robbie's room. She had wanted him to kiss her. She had wanted her first kiss but he hadn't kissed her. Why? If he wanted her, why couldn't he just kiss her to start with? Feeling restless, she walked towards his room. She might be twenty-six but all her life she had been very strict where her principles were concerned. With her hundred percent focus on her studies and career, she hadn't found any time or the inclination to date anyone in her entire twenty-six years of life.

She walked into Hunter's bedroom with her heart beating faster than normal.