06. the loss

THE MORNING in the Bakshi house has always been busy. That's something that remained the same even after years. A sign that life moves on.

The breakfast table is set, Lalima makes sure it is. Something she had been doing since she was married off to this house.

Mohua sits on the right having a quick eat, she is getting late.

"Mohua how's Sujoy feeling now? Is he better?" Lalima asked looking at her.

Mohua for once finds her hands halting, then slowly nods. Lalima looks at her and holds her shoulder.

"Some people never change Bordibhai," Mohua said with pain evident in her voice.

"Sometimes..." Lalima takes a seat next to her and continues, "I feel like maybe we were the reason our family is holding the facade, maybe it was us who did nothing for the right."

"Bordibhai?"

"We never stood up for ourselves Mohua, we never spoke for ourselves. All our life we lived according to them, the men of this house, their rule their honour. Where were us in between all this?" Lalima said looking into empty space.

This place has always been like this, her home yet it chokes her sometimes.

"Perhaps we are just late to ask this now Bordibhai."

But there is nothing such thing as being late. Being late doesn't make you wrong, it was just delayed.

"Lalima my breakfast." A loud voice echoes through the hallway that makes her leave her seat and she moves towards the end of the table.

Durjoy Bakshi comes and takes his regular seat, Mohua smiles at him. Over the years, Mohua had established a reliable relationship with Durjoy.

He was the brother she never had. He was the one who asked for her hand to her father, it was him bringing her here, the one who always stayed by her side even when her husband wasn't.

He was never a perfect man, never a good father, but he was a respected man. Mohua gives him that.

She looks ahead at Sidharth walking through the door passing her a smile, "Morning Chotomaa".

She smiled, "You Kaku was asking for you, remember to visit him before leaving."

He nodded as he takes his seat next to her, "I will, everything alright? He was not well yesterday."

"Yeah. I guess it's something he wants to talk about it."

"Lalima you called Kuhu?" Suddenly Durjoy asked and Sidharth found himself frowning.

"Calling her for what exactly?" He could help but ask.

"Ask her to visit her? It's been long."

Sidharth closed his eyes, there's no way they are leaving them alone. But then again, he can't anything about this, and he is just tired.

He just stand up and left the room without another word. His mind is already a mess, and he is not ready for another argument with his father, not now at least.

He walks into the room and found himself smiling, Sujoy was creasing the old photograph.

Sujoy was a friend to him, he was never been the easiest father, but he has been a good friend to him.

"You were asking for me, Kaku?" He asked walking inside.

"I was. You are leaving already?"

"I am. But tell me what it is?"

"I haven't talked to Sheuli for quite some time, and I am not good with technologies. So maybe if you facetime her, I was just..."

Missing her. But they didn't voice it, Sidharth smiles and nodded.