04. Petrichor

THE MORNING CAME with the usual chaos, Ayesha, as usual, was busy in the kitchen with the breakfast preparations. Last night no one talked about what happened, but this morning there will talking. She was sure of it. And as she was almost done, Sameer entered the kitchen with an empty cup, which must be the coffee he had late at night.

She smiles at his greeting, "Morning, Ayehsa."

She puts the pan on the stove for his morning coffee, he smiles looking at her. When he looks back now, he can't remember a time she wasn't there for him, for them. She had given up on so many things just for a relationship that happened over a courting period of just six months, she had just been shifted to Delhi after her new. And what after that? That's a question he asks himself quite often.

"What are you thinking?" Ayesha's voice brings him back to the present.

She handed him the cup of coffee and took hold of her chai and started walking towards the hall, she had called for work from home today.

He followed her behind and took a seat next to her by the ottoman near the couch, he smiled, "I was thinking of the day when Kabeer brought you home for the first time."

"That was quite a day, it's already been more than a year to that." She smiles at the memory, her eyes fixed on the photo staring at her.

"It has been, but to be honest, it doesn't feel like that."

"I know, I am glad I attended that stupid party along with my friend."

"You mean the ditcher?" He said with a laugh, well her friend did ditch her that day in the boring party.

"Don't call her that!" She laughed hard.

"She did ditch you there."

"Well, thanks to her I get to meet you."

"I still remember the night you know, you were wearing that black dress totally twining with my brother."

"Now now that was an accident."

"I don't believe you at all."

"You should."

"You know he told me that he loves you, I wasn't shocked, anyone who knows you, even a bit, is bound to love you, that's given."

That's true, Ayesha won't agree though but that's true.

"You also know me," She said and the next moment looked at him, she shouldn't have.

"And what makes you think I don't love you?" He laughs, but she doesn't miss his tone, she knows he loves her like a friend, more than that, like a confidant.

"Sameer!"

"Not going there babe, don't worry, I cherish our friendship way too much."

"I know."

"Of course you do."

"You can ask me you know"

"About that guy? Well you can tell me if you want to" He shrugs as he speaks, he is not in a hurry.

"What do you want to know?"

"Is he the one?"

"My ex? Yes, he is."

"You talked to him?"

"I don't want to, he is not-"

"He is not?"

"He is not the same Sameer, he is not the guy I fell in love with, and neither am I. We have changed, life happened to us."

"So you changed? I really want to know how was you, back then." She laughed at his words and he followed that.