.02 Petrichor

IT WAS AN USUAL MONSOON. The drizzling sky poured upon the corridors.

The assembly hall, on the other hand, was a completely different scene. The inter-school cultural fest is around the corner and the hall is buzzing with its plans.

The drama committee set up for an audition is the news! And why wouldn't it be, for all know, it never happens. It's been the same for years now. No matter how good you are, you will never be selected. It will always be the group of those few seniors who will be presenting to the school. Their biggest flex, they represented the school at the national level once! Just once that too three years back.

After that, no one even bothered to conduct an audition. But now they are, they have. These people will be leaving the school in a year and a half, they have to hand it over.

And Amaan Sahani, being the Cultural head of the team, hated it. Omar, his friend cum Captain of the team, was a different tale though. He wasn't as reluctant as Amaan. He wanted the juniors to be involved, he wanted them to do well.

So this time they both had to agree with school authorities, they would be conducting the audition, even if it was just for a show. They knew it, even the students does. But still, they came, buzzing in the line.

And Amaan being the pompous person asks, "What are you all doing here?" His laugh that followed was mocking, but that's not what catches the attention of many, it was the answer that came in return, the voice that was confident, "Last time I checked it was an audition for the drama committee, isn't it obvious why we are here then?"

That voice made Amaan turn on his heels, his eyebrow raised in surprise and the sly smile that covered his lips.

"You are taking what as your major?" His counterquestion was completely different and he wasn't accepting an answer, however, she did give one, "Science."

This time he smiled for real, "Of course, you are after all a major in Arts already."

With that, he walks away inside the green room. The audition ended and as expected, no one got selected. However when everyone was walking, Amaan stood by the gate, his eyes follows and found the girl.

Their eyes collide, and that was the beginning.

The beginning of something that was going to ruin lives.

That July monsoon, when the sky poured upon them, something bloomed in his heart, for the girl who spoke back to him.

The girl who looked into his eyes.

The girl he never knew.

But he will, that's something he promised himself.

---

A SUNDAY MONSOON is something Sahani children hate the most.

Uma Sahani will be fuzzing over one thing or the other, from the leaking pipe to the wet clothes, to the water lodged just outside their main gate, to slippery floors, everything all at once. If anything the morning chores which make it impossible for Amaan to get his rest after a tiring week, were a far dream. But that certainly doesn't make him leave his bed he would rather lie there than be a helping hand. He hated it but more than that he hated his mother's complaints.