New Shoes And Scavenger Hunts

"Y/n/n, your breakfast is ready," Steve called out. "You and Sam need to eat."

Bucky whined, not wanting to move from his mama's arms. "M sleepy, Mama," he said tiredly, barely understandable around his pacifier. Normally he wouldn't take a nap this early, but after last night he was exhausted and Y/n knew he needed all of the rest he could get.

Before she could respond, Steve chimed in. "Can I hold you while you nap so that your mama can eat?" He asked softly. Bucky nodded his head, reaching for Steve, who tried as hard as he could to hide his excitement. Bucky almost never let anyone but his mama hold him while he slept.

Steve lifted him up, gently easing Bucky from his mama's arms into his own, and felt a flutter of happiness rush through him when the little boy didn't hesitate to settle in his arms. Bucky's head nuzzled into Steve's shoulder and his metal hand came up to hold onto his shirt, making sure that his uncle wouldn't go anywhere. Bucky said something again, but this time Steve couldn't understand him. "I can't hear what you're saying, little guy," he said fondly. "Can I hold your paci for you while you talk?" Bucky nodded his head and let Steve take the pacifier from his mouth.

"S'cold, Uncle Steve," the sleepy little boy mumbled.

"I know," Steve cooed. "Why don't we get nice and comfy on the couch?" He sat down on the couch with Bucky, slipping the baby's pacifier into his mouth before draping a blanket over him. "Go to sleep, soldier," Steve said gently, rubbing a hand up and down his back. "I'll watch over you, I promise." Bucky sleepily nodded his head, peacefully drifting off on Steve's shoulder while his mama and Sam ate breakfast. Steve could see them watching as he held Bucky and smiled widely, proud of the trust that Bucky was exhibiting. When Sam had finished eating he came over to the couch, pulling the blanket up higher around Bucky.

"Look at you two, Stevie," he said fondly. Steve grinned at his partner, pressing a kiss to the top of Bucky's head.

"He trusts us, Sam," he said as quietly as he could. "He really trusts us." Bucky stirred a little and both men were silent, Steve rubbing his back until he was certain that the baby was sound asleep again.

"He's a sweetheart," Sam said softly, running a hand through Bucky's hair before heading to the kitchen where Y/n was beckoning him over.

Bucky woke up just a while later and shifted, whining when Steve stood up from the couch with him. "Shhh, you're alright," Steve cooed, patting the fussy baby's back. "Uncle Steve has to set up something special for you, okay? So we've gotta get you to your mama."

At the mention of his mama, Bucky finally lifted his head up from Steve's shoulder and began scanning the room. He spotted her in the kitchen, talking to Sam and called out for her. She immediately spun around and he reached towards her as she came to take him from Steve.

"How about we go get dressed, baby?" She asked, carrying him into the bedroom when he nodded his head. Y/n set her baby on the bed and told him about the plan for the day while she grabbed a change of clothes for him. There was an issue with their Disneyland tickets, so Bucky was going to spend the day with Uncle Steve while she and Uncle Sam worked out the issue. She helped him out of his wet pull-up and cleaned him up, grabbing another from the package by the bed, but Bucky shook his head when she tried to help him into it.

"Baby, you need a new pull-up," she said.

"M a big boy, Mama," he said defiantly. "Don' need it."

She sighed, knowing that he was pushing boundaries now that he finally felt secure. Although she knew that this could end badly, she also knew how important it was that Bucky knew his consent was valued and that he wouldn't be forced into anything. Especially after what had happened with Sarkissian, control over things like this was incredibly important to her baby. "Alright, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to," she conceded. "You need to tell Uncle Steve if you need to go potty, okay?"