How Many Caregivers Does A Baby Need?

The first part of the drive went by quickly, and before long they had pulled over at a lookout point to eat lunch. They sat on a blanket beside the car and made plans for Disneyland while they ate. After lunch Y/n's phone rang and she walked a fair distance away to answer it. Sam began repacking the picnic supplies in the car, leaving Steve and Bucky to finish their sodas.

"So how are you feeling about Disneyland?" Steve asked. Bucky had been stressed about being little in such a crowded place, and they'd talked about it quite a bit before leaving.

"I'm honestly not that stressed about it anymore." Bucky shrugged. Steve gave him a confused look, remembering how anxious he'd been before they left home. "I mean, I've got all three of my caregivers right there with me if anything goes wrong," Bucky explained. "It doesn't feel like such a big deal now."

Three caregivers. Steve was silent as Bucky's words ran circles through his head. Three caregivers. Tears welled up in his eyes as he understood what Bucky had just said so casually.

"Steve?" Bucky asked, worried that he'd somehow said something wrong. "Are you alri-" He was cut off by Steve pulling him into a bone crushing hug, squeezing so tight Bucky though he might pop. "What's happening?" He strained out.

"Three caregivers?" Steve asked, letting go just enough that Bucky could breathe properly. "That includes me right?"

Bucky nodded his head, shocked that Steve was so happy about this. "Yeah Stevie, that includes you," he whispered. Bucky had gone so long without even one safe caregiver, the fact that he had three now was overwhelming. As the gravity of what he had just admitted finally sunk in, Bucky clung tighter to Steve. "Please don't go anywhere."

"Never," Steve said determinedly. "You're my best friend, Buck. I'm here as long as you want me."

Sam wandered over, wondering what had happened that Bucky was clinging to Steve so tightly. "You guys okay?" He asked softly. Steve turned his head and Sam saw the tear tracks on his face. "Stevie are you crying?"

"Three caregivers, Sam," Steve tried to explain. "He said he has three caregivers." Bucky turned red at the way that Steve was talking over his head, and lifted his face from Steve's shoulder to look at Sam.

Sam looked just as touched as Steve had. "Three?" He breathed out. "As in Y/n, Steve, and me?"

Bucky nodded his head, finally letting go of Steve. "If you're okay with that," he said quietly, still terrified that he'd be rejected. That this was too much for him to put on them. But Sam reached out and pulled Bucky close, letting him cling to him just like he had with Steve.

"I'm more than okay with it, Buck," he said softly. Bucky let out a sigh of relief, resting his head on Sam's shoulder.

"You should probably let go," Bucky said quietly after a few moments. "I'm gonna slip if you keep holding me like this."

But Sam didn't let go. "So be little," he shrugged, "We don't mind."

"But what about Y/n?" Bucky asked. "She hasn't had a single day this entire vacation that I wasn't little for at least part of. It's been amazing, but doesn't she want a break?"

"Bucky," Steve started, causing him to finally separate from Sam and turn to face him. "This is her break. Getting to look after you and baby you is how she relaxes. I've never once seen my sister more calm and content than when she's holding you."

"Really?" Bucky asked tentatively. "Are you sure?"

"She loves you more than anyone else," Steve said quietly.

"Steve gets jealous about it," Sam joked. "She used to baby him before you were around."

"Oh shut up," Steve rolled his eyes. "She did not."