Mama's Baby

Bucky's mama held him for a long time. Both of them desperately wanted this kind of closeness, and neither one could find it in them to let go. Bucky was perfectly content to listen to his mama's soft humming and focus on the strong arms that he could trust to support him.

Eventually he began to get restless, and Y/n decided that a change of scenery was a good idea. She took him to the living room and made sure his playmat was ready before laying him down on it. Bucky snuggled into the blankets that she surrounded him with. His mama had made sure that there wasn't a single thing in reach that wasn't gentle and he couldn't remember the last time he had been surrounded by this much softness. She sat down on the mat nearby him and instructed Jarvis to play the video she had chosen earlier.

Bucky quickly became entranced by the colors and music, and Y/n watched as he relaxed. His fingers eventually ended up in his mouth, but she didn't mention it. It was nice to see him feeling safe enough to self-soothe in front of her, and she didn't want him to feel embarrassed or ashamed of how he sought comfort. She could tell he was letting himself be smaller and smaller as time went on, and she was relieved to see it.

As Bucky laid there, surrounded on all sides by soft things and with his mama right by his side, he could feel himself sinking deeper into his regression. There was no reason to be self-conscious, his mama wouldn't judge. She had repeatedly proven that she'd never make fun of him for being little, and he found peace in the fact that she was staying close by. He let go of his desire to stay even a little bit big, trusting that his mama would protect him, and felt everything go fuzzy. There was a familiar feeling in his chest as he looked at Y/n. Mama. I want my mama. There wasn't a thought in his head other than his overwhelming desire for her, and he let out a little whimper, pleased to see that she immediately set her full attention on him.

"Hi baby," she cooed softly, reaching down and cupping his face with her hand. She kissed his forehead and smiled at her baby, watching as he gazed up at her as though he were in awe of her very presence. "Do you need something?"

"Mama," Bucky said quietly, tugging at Y/n's shirt in an effort to get his point across.

"You want Mama to lay down with you?" She asked, laying beside him when Bucky nodded his head. He didn't hesitate for a second to cling to her, burying his head in her chest and letting out a deep sigh when she began to rub his back. "My sweet baby boy. Mama loves you so much."

She felt him hold on even tighter and adjusted herself so she could cradle him against her chest, covering him with one of the blankets he was surrounded by. She could tell he was smaller than before and wanted to make sure he felt safe. She might not have fully understood why he loved her so much, but she knew that her presence brought him comfort and that was more than enough for her. He looked so tiny, curled up in her arms like they were the safest place in the world. She knew that Bucky was strong. He was far stronger than he ever should've had to be. But no matter how strong he was, she knew she would never stop wanting to protect him. He had fought enough for one lifetime; it was time for him to rest.

"Mama's gonna go potty real quick, okay baby?" She asked quietly after a long while of holding him, not wanting to disturb his peaceful state. Bucky nodded and reluctantly let go of her. "I'll be right back angel," she reassured him, kissing his forehead and waiting until he was ready for her to move.

"Mama comes back," Bucky said in a serious little voice, nodding his head solemnly as though he were simply telling himself a fact.

"That's right, Mama always comes back." She smiled at him before getting up and watched as he curled into his stuffed dog to get comfortable.

She walked back into one of the most adorable sights she'd ever seen. Bucky was sprawled out on his back with his toy bee in one hand, happily shaking it to hear the nice sounds that the rattle made. She lingered by the doorway, watching as he stopped shaking his toy and just looked at it, seemingly laser-focused on the bee. Then she fought back a laugh as he stuck the wings in his mouth and began chewing on them, giggling at the nice crinkling sounds they made in his mouth. She hadn't seen him this unapologetically small since their vacation and she couldn't help but revel in the happy little sounds he was making.