twenty

Montana.

I climbed in bed, seeing Noah shift in his own couch bed, sitting up to look at me.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah" I nodded to him, watching him yawn.

"Okay, get some sleep"

I woke up to someone rubbing my shoulder gently, making me open my eyes- seeing Luke.

I was so fucking tired.

"Hey love" his smile was comforting.

"Your blood pressure is high, do you care if I listen to your heart?" He asked me.

Trust him, Luke is okay, we know that.

"You can" I told him.

I rolled onto my back, seeing Calum setting out a few items onto a tray.

I watched Luke as he put his stethoscope in his ears, glancing to me.

"How about you hold my hand as I do it?"

It was like he knew I got instantly nervous.

So I did as said.

I gently held the top of his hand that was holding the stethoscope to my chest.

I watched his face focus as he moved it a few times before taking it completely away.

"I think one of your medicines is causing your blood pressure to spike, I'm going to put an IV in to give you some medicines to regulate it and some fluids just to be safe, okay?" He spoke slowly.

It was so early

I was so tired

And the last thing I wanted was a shot

"No shots please" I whined out, seeing his face soften.

"You'll only feel it for ten seconds." He told me slowly.

Luke.

Calum had called me in a few minutes early due to not being able to get a good read on her blood pressure and feeling no wrist pulse.

I immediately went in, tried to take her blood pressure without waking her, but we got her another inaccurate read.

I woke her up, guiding her to lay in a different position, which allowed us to get her blood pressure, which was pretty high for our liking and her pulse was also elevated.

We had just put her on a new medicine to assist her chemo, so it had to have been from that.

I watched tears swell in her eyes as I told her about the IV.

This couldn't have been a good wake up call.

"Just let me go to sleep" she finally let a tear fall, her cries quiet, but yet it broke my heart.

"You can right after, my love" I told her calmly, seeing Calum setting up everything for it.

Suddenly she almost threw herself into my arms, hugging me tightly as she cried.

I didn't hesitate to hug her back.

She is just tired.

Mentally and physically.

"Do you want me or Calum to do it?" I asked her calmly, not knowing if she wanted me to comfort her or do it for her, but wanting her to have that option.

"I just need you to keep hugging me" my heart broke at her words, but I continued doing what she needed me to do.

I ended up pulling her to the edge of her bed, sitting on my knees so I could continue to hug her, Calum gently taking her arm as we did this.

As he prepped everything, this made me think

She has been my patient for a little over a week and she went through an absolutely traumatic experience with a doctor when she was very young, but yet she has my heart wrapped around her fingers and is trusting me enough to let me comfort her through something she doesn't want to do.

It also made me realize, I've never seen her and Noah hug.

Like Noah comforts her and kisses her head, he will hold her hand during chemo, but he never gives her hugs.

Maybe she just needed hugs.

I felt her grip suddenly tighten and heard her whine, telling me that he did it and seconds after he spoke a quick

"All done, love"

"You okay?" I asked her calmly, pulling away to look at her, seeing her nod as Calum injected the medicine before immediately hooking her to fluids.

She nodded to me, wiping her own tears away.

"Sorry to make you cry so early." Calum spoke, squeezing her hand.

"It's not your fault, I'm just moody." She told us calmly,

"Get some sleep, I'll come check on you" I told her, seeing her nod.

"Sleep good, Cal" she spoke swiftly as we turned to leave, making him laugh.

"You too, Tana"