thirty three

Noah.

I walked in from one of the longest work shifts of my life, to see them prepping Montana for something.

"What's going on?" I ask the first nurse I see.

"Prepping for surgery, she's getting her tumor out!" The nurse spoke cheerfully.

Why the fuck didn't I hear about this?

"No she isn't." I spoke firmly just as Montana came out of the bathroom.

"Yeah all of her scans were easy, surgery starts in about two hours" the nurse spoke.

"No it does not, I never approved of a surgery." I spoke firmly, feeling more than angry that all of this was happening without any information being told to me.

"Noah relax-" "don't tell me to relax. I haven't been told shit the past two days and then I come home from a miserable fucking shift where I'm working my ass off to make money for you- to see you being prepped for a surgery I knew absolutely fucking nothing about!" I snapped and yelled straight at Montana, who's face immediately looked sad and if I wasn't as angry as I was, I probably would've immediately hugged her and apologized.

"You aren't having surgery." I told her firmly.

"What- Noah!" She yelled straight back to me.

"They can wait a few days for me to wrap my head around this!" I yelled at her.

"For you to wrap your head around this?!" She yelled right back to me, matching my energy perfectly. I could tell I raised her.

Luke walked in as all of this was just starting to go down.

"I have cancer. I have to get the tests done. I have to do the chemo. I am the one who should be struggling with the thought of cancer and surgery!" She yelled to me.

"The sooner I have this surgery, the sooner I can finish chemo and all this other bullshit I have to do and then maybe- just fucking maybe I'll be able to get out of here before I'm eighteen so that all of this shit can still be free rather than you having to pay for it and then hold it over my head for the next ten years about how you worked so fucking hard and paid so much money for my cancer treatment!" She was angry and releasing stuff I didn't even know had upset her.

I ignored her, looking to Luke

"And who the fuck do you think you are? Scheduling a minors surgery without consulting her guardian-" "Noah-" I cut him off.

"I should fucking sue you for even making her turn against me like this-" "Noah I one hundred percent did call you and discuss this surgery with you last night." Luke spoke, seeming more than confused.

"What- no you didn't-" "I did, I was emailed a signed copy of a consent form. But even if I didn't, in the documents we originally signed before beginning this case, you signed an agreement that at any point if I found that surgery was required and ready that I was reliable to preform as early as I see fit, we discussed this along with several other details with attorneys because it's in my doctor contract, remember?" He spoke calmly as ever.

Suddenly those memories came back to me.

I gave him permission to not need my permission, I knew he was only doing good for her.

"You still didn't call me- who did you talk to?" I spat towards him.

He pulled out his iPad, showing me her emergency contact.

My name and email
My dads phone number
My dad and I switched phone numbers shortly after we got her in at this hospital due to a problem with his phone.

And I had been filling him in on every detail, so he wouldn't have been confused to take a phone call about this.

He probably just thought I wasn't available to take the call and just did what he thought was best.

I glanced between her and Luke, speechless.

"That was my dad you spoke to." I told Luke.

"He confirmed several times with me that he was you, I'm sorry- I didn't even hear a voice difference." Luke spoke, seeming one hundred percent genuine and concerned.

"I'm sorry" I exhaled looked to Montana, who was clearly angry at me.

"I'm sorry Doctor Hemmings-" "no reason to apologize to me. I'm sorry about how all of this was handled, I just thought I had spoken to you and everything was fine. Your dad didn't ask any questions or act confused- he did nothing to give me any reason to think it wasn't you. He even called me Luke." Luke told me firmly.

I rubbed my head, looking to Montana.

"Tana-" "if you're going to forever hold the money you spend on me above my head- just stop" a tear fell down her cheek as she spoke.

"You don't have to work, you don't have to worry about any of this." She spoke firmly.

"I just don't want to ever hear you brag or use against me that you spend money and work for money to spend on me ever again." She was very upset.

"Montana- I promise, I won't." I told her firmly.

"Can you give Luke and i a minute alone?" She then asked and I immediately felt jealous.

"I'd like to visit with you before your surgery-" "you still have two hours until I go to surgery, I'm asking for ten minutes." Montana spoke firmly to me.

So I left.