thirty nine

two days later
Montana

I was sitting in chemo between Luke and Noah, Ashton had just dismissed himself to go check on one of his patients.

"How much longer do we have with all of this, Doctor Hemmings?" Noah asked him.

"Well- of course she still has cancerous cells in her body, which is why we are still doing chemo. The cancerous cells aren't activated thank God, but we don't want to give them time to activate, so this is how we are killing them." He explained slowly.

"We will most likely do all of her labs again this Friday and see how everything is looking, if we determine that all the cells are dead, we can move into stem cell transplants, and that will take an additional month or longer and this will take serious quarantining and separation from anyone who goes outside, because she won't have any immunity, she'll technically have cells like a new born." He told Noah, and i nodded because him and I had already been through all of this.

"Once we know she has all of the necessary cells and it reacting well, we will give her all of her immunizations to help her build immunity to everything and then of course we have to go through every test and scan again to be one hundred percent sure everything is okay, and then- she rings the cancer free bell" he smiled to me.

"Wait- she can't have any contact with anyone from outside?" Noah asked quickly.

"No she will even be in a different area of the hospital, anyone that visits her will be screened for fever or any signs of illness or infection before, but we are going to refuse anyone that is strictly in public because-" "but I have a job, you can't refuse me seeing my daughter" he laughed and I almost immediately wanted to roll my eyes at his stubbornness.

"We can actually." Luke spoke back, almost shocking me.

"Right now you shouldn't be worried about anything but her safety. When she is going through that phase, she will not have immunity to anything- meaning if she catches a common cold- it could kill her." He spoke with no hesitation, just as I got a dizzy spell from the chemo, making me groan lightly.

"Well I'll just make sure I'm not around anyone that is sick-" "that's still a risk that I'm not going to take." Luke spoke firmly.

"Let me reiterate, you could kill her if you bring in a single germ." He spoke extra slowly to Noah, clearly getting pissed off at him, but Noah didn't stop.

"So you're telling me that you leaving every night isn't putting you at risk?" Noah shot to him.

"Yes it is. Which is why I already have it planned for me to be living here during that phase, I'm not putting her at risk." Luke spoke firmly back to him and I almost wanted to high give him.

Noah laughed out like a child, sitting back in his chair

"So how much longer are we talking with all this?" Noah asked.

"Three months maybe if everything is just absolutely perfect." He told him.

"So three months and then we can go home?"

My heart dropped.

Home.

Where did I think I was going after all of this?

"Yes, she will be required to come back once a month for testing-" "I'm sure we can get that done in our hometown." Noah told him as I felt tears invading my eyes.

I don't want to go home.

"That wasn't in the contract- when I discussed the contract with you, it stated that she would be receiving continuous check ups by me, that's what I always require from patients, every doctor requires that." Luke spoke firmly.

"I'll read over the contract again, I'm sure we can figure something out."

Luke stopped talking to him when he saw my state.

"What's wrong, do you feel sick?" He asked me, lifting my head to make me look to him, wiping my tears.

"I don't want to go home" I cried out to him, seeing his face immediately soften.

"Oh my God- Montana." I heard Noah say as Luke lifted the arm rest so he could move to hug me tightly.

"Don't cry Tana" Luke spoke firmly as I hugged him.

"Not right now, okay? We can talk another this tonight." He whispered so low, I'm sure praying that Noah wouldn't hear him.

"Montana don't you miss all your friends, your soccer team?" Noah asked as I wiped my tears

"None of them have sent me a single text or called me since I got here."

"Well I'm sure-"

"No, I don't miss them."

There's nothing it that town for me.