A New Person

April 23, 1997

Four Days Before Jeff Trail's Murder

In a hotel room in San Diego, California.

In one of the rooms, Andrew was sitting in a chair injecting drugs into himself while he was on the phone. "Mr. Cunanan, I appreciate that your credit history used to be impeccable..." The operator said to him. "All I need to do is make one more purchase, and that's for a one-way ticket to Minneapolis on Northwest Airlines." Andrew said to her. "Sir, American Express is not in the business of loaning..." The operator said to Andrew who cuts her off. "Well, once I get to Minneapolis, I can fix everything. Then I will be your very best customer again, - I promise you." Andrew said to her. "I don't know what's in Minneapolis." The operator said to him. "My two best friends and my girlfriend. I'm moving in with my friend David, and Jeff actually owes me more than 10 thousand dollars. But once I get that money, they're gonna help me turn my life right back around." Andrew said to her. "Will you be making a repayment?" The operator asks him as Andrew picks up a little box. "Well, yes, once I get to Minneapolis." Andrew said to her. "Mr. Cunanan, to be clear, you're requesting that American Express extend your credit to cover a one-way ticket in order to make a repayment, correct?" The operator asks him while Andrew looks inside the box where a gold ring was inside. "Yes, that's all I need and I will be asking my girlfriend to marry me, so it will make me happy if I can see her again." Andrew said to her making the operator sigh. "Let me talk to my supervisor." The operator said to him. "I can hold." Andrew said to her and he was put on hold. 

In Minneapolis, Minnesota

Jesse enters a factory with some food for Jeff. Jesse sees some guys looking at her because Jesse was wearing a red short dress with a black jacket with Jesse wearing black sunglasses. Jesse walks over to Jeff who was working. "Hungry Jeff?" Jesse asks him making Jeff look at her. Jesse pulls her glasses down her nose while giving Jeff a smile. Jeff smiles at her as he walks over to Jesse. "I can eat if it is with you." Jeff said to her and he kisses Jesse's cheek. "Of course, you would say that." Jesse said to him and the two walked upstairs to a table. Jeff and Jesse were sitting at a table eating some food. "Have you put some thought into what I have told you?" Jeff asks her making Jesse look at him. "Well, first I thought you were gay but I was wrong you were Bi." Jesse said to him making Jeff take ahold of Jesse's hand. "You haven't seen Andrew in a year. He ran away from you and left you with me and David. I am just saying if I was your boyfriend..." Jeff said to her while he puts Jesse's hair behind her ear. "You can count on me to be by your side." Jeff said to her as he leans closer to Jesse to kiss her. "May I?" The two hear someone making the two look up to see Ben. "I get to go, I will see you later Jeff." Jesse said to Jeff and she walks away from the two. Sometime later, Jesse walks over to the loft and she sees David. "David." Jesse said making David look at her. "Is something wrong?" Jesse asks him. "Andrew left a message saying he will see us at the airport." David said to her. "Oh." Jesse said to him while thinking about seeing him again. 

There has been some thought in Jesse's head about ending things with Andrew. The idea of making something of herself seemed good to her, she wanted to make something of her life without Andrew in the future.

At The Airport

Jesse and David were waiting for Andrew to arrive. "Are you thinking about it?" David asks her making Jesse look at him. "Well, I thought it will be good for me." Jesse said to him. "Hey." The two hear Jeff making them turn to him. "Didn't think you were gonna show." Jesse said to him making Jeff look at her. "I didn't think so, either." Jeff said to her. "Do you know why he's coming here?" David asks them making the two look at him. "Nope." Jeff said to him making David look at him. "I don't get it. Nothing's happening this weekend." David said to them. "He's got no one. He's got nothing. Everything he's told you about his life's a lie. You know that, right?" Jeff asks the two who look at him. "Do you even like him?" David asks Jeff who looks at David. "He was there for me once. I owe him. It's not the same." Jeff said to him making Jesse look at him. "I feel kind of sorry for him." Jesse said to them making Jeff look at her. "Don't." Jeff said to her making Jesse look at him. "He's lonely." Jesse said to him. "For a reason. Look, I'm gonna give him this weekend, for old times' sake, and then I'm done with him." Jeff said to them and he looks at Jesse. "And you will be done with him too." Jeff said to her. "He's here for three nights." Jesse said to him. "He can have my apartment tomorrow night. I'll stay at my sister's. But don't tell him where I am, okay? He's so crazy, he might just show up." Jeff said to them and he puts his hand on Jesse's cheek. "And when he is gone you can stay with me." Jeff said to her and he kisses Jesse's cheek. "The Three Amigos!" The three hear Andrew yell making Jesse jump she turns to see Andrew hug David. "Hi." Andrew said to David. "How are you?" David asks him. "Oh, good. Good." Andrew said to him and he lets go of David. "Jeff." Andrew said to him. "Andrew." Jeff said to him giving Andrew a hug. Andrew looks at Jesse with a smile to see her outfit. "Hello, beautiful." Andrew said to her as he walks over to Jesse and he gives her a hug. "Hello, Andrew." Jesse said to him while feeling uncombable around Andrew like he was planning something and she doesn't know what it was making her a little scared of Andrew. Andrew pulls away from Jesse but he keeps his arm around Jesse. "Oh, we're gonna have so much fun this weekend. It's gonna be just like old times." Andrew said to them. "Not like old times." Jeff said to him while taking Jesse's arm and pulling her away from Andrew. "Why would you say that?" Andrew asks him with a smile looking at Jesse. "I'm not gonna be able to hang out with you guys tonight." Jeff said to him. "Oh, why not?" Andrew asks him with a smile. "Aside from everything you've done?" Jeff said to him making Andrew confused. "What did I do?" Andrew asks him while looking at Jesse. "My company has a sales conference. I'm away till Sunday. But I'll be sure to write you a postcard." Jeff said to him while pushing Jesse to David. "Oh, are you still annoyed about that? I thought we talked about this. I expla..." Andrew said to him and he looks at David. "I accidentally sent Jeff's dad a postcard. I put "Stan Trail" instead of "Jeff Trail." And they don't know that he's gay, and I signed it "Love, Drew. Kiss-kiss." I made a mistake." Andrew said to them with a smile. "I'm sorry. So what?" Andrew said to them while Jesse leans on David making Andrew look at her. "You can stay at my place tomorrow night. I won't be at home." Jeff said to him while taking out his keys. "Why do I need a place to stay?" Andrew asks them. "I'm busy tomorrow night." David said to him. "Doing what?" Andrew asks him. "Seeing a friend." David said to him. "Who? What friend?" Andrew asks him. "No one you know." Jesse said to him making Andrew look at her. "And you?" Andrew asks Jesse who looks at him. "I am working late at night, so I can't let you in." Jesse said to him making Andrew give her a look while Jeff hands him the keys to his house. 

At David Madson's Loft

Later Andrew was following David and Jesse to David's apartment. Andrew watches Jesse talk to David like they have been friends forever. Andrew has noticed that Jesse hasn't been on his arm or even asked him how he has been. David opens one of the doors to his apartment. "Hey, buddy." Jesse said making Andrew look inside to see a dog walking over to Jesse. "How was your day? How was your day?" Jesse asks Prints while Andrew and David walk into the place. "Hey, hey." David said as he walks over to Jesse and Prints. "You miss me?" David asks Prints making Jesse look at him. "No." Jesse said to him with a smile as she stands up. Jesse walks over to the kitchen with Andrew following her with a little box in his hands. Jesse turns around to see Andrew behind with the box in his hand. "What's this?" Jesse asks him making David look at them. "I got you something." Andrew said to her making Jesse look at David and then back at Andrew. Jesse takes the box from Andrew who was smiling at her. "Open it. Open it." Andrew said to her making Jesse nod and she opens it to see a gold ring inside. Jesse walks away from Andrew to the table while scoffing and she puts the box on the table. Jesse then walks over to the kitchen again making Andrew confused. "Jesse?" Andrew said as he picks up the box and he follows her. "Jesse. Listen to me." Andrew said to her standing not too far from Jesse. "Jesse Fox, you are the lady that I want to spend the rest of my life with." Andrew said to her making Jesse closes her eyes. "Will you marry me?" Andrew asks her while getting on one knee. "Andrew." Jesse said turning to him. "You don't have to give me an answer right now. You can think about it for the next few days." Andrew said to her making Jesse turn to him. "We can't get married." Jesse said to him. "Why not?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at David who gives her a nod. "What is it?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at him. "The idea of you and me." Jesse said to him making Andrew realizes that Jesse is ending things with him. "Then you can keep the ring, regardless." Andrew said to her. "For what?" Jesse asks him. "For what? F-For-for turning my life around. I got a new job. I got a new condo in San Francisco." Andrew said while taking out the ring. "I'm a whole new person. A-And a-all I need is..." Andrew said while taking Jesse's hand. "Is someone to be a new person for." Andrew said while putting the ring on Jesse's finger. Jesse looks at it and then back at Andrew who was smiling at her.