Spiraling Into Madness

1996

Next Day

Andrew was sitting at a table making up a list of demands in order to stay with Norman. Andrew hears movement from behind him making him turn to see Jesse waking up. Andrew leaves the table and lays down next to Jesse on the bed. "You still mad at me?" Andrew asks her but Jesse doesn't answer him. "Babe, answer me. I don't like it when you are mad." Andrew said to her making Jesse lay on her back. "I'm mad you were taking drugs on your birthday." Jesse said to him making Andrew kiss her forehead. "I know, I was just upset that all." Andrew said to her while he rubs Jesse's cheek. "Why?" Jesse asks him. "You were with other men." Andrew said to him making Jesse laugh a little. "Andrew." Jesse said while sitting up. "You don't have to worry about that." Jesse said to him with a smile making Andrew smile. "Can I kiss you?" Andrew asks her making Jesse lay down on the bed. "You didn't even kiss me goodnight last night." Andrew said to her making Jesse laugh a little. "Sure." Jesse said to him making Andrew smile and he leans down giving Jesse a heartwarming kiss.

Later that day, Jesse was watching Andrew who was talking to Norman. "What's this?" Norman asks Andrew who hands him a paper. " A list of requirements. If we are going to work together." Andrew said to him while Jesse leans onto the wall. "List of requirements." Norman said to himself as he looks at the list. "Increased living allowance. First-class flights." Norman said reading the list. "International and domestic." Andrew said to him with a little smile. "Of course. A Mercedes SL 600?" Norman said making Andrew nod a little. "My girlfriend would love to ride in this car, and if we had children, I'd love to show it off to them. Having this vehicle is a dream of mine." Andrew said to him while Jesse looks at Andrew. "And you wish to be written into my will as my sole heir." Norman said to him and he looks at Andrew. "I've devoted my life to making you happy. I've made enormous sacrifices." Andrew said to him while Jesse walks over to Andrew's side. "What have you sacrificed?" Norman asks him. "Love." Andrew said to him as he looks at Jesse for a second. "Whose love?" Norman asks him. "My girlfriend's love and my parents' love." Andrew said to him while Andrew puts his arm around Jesse. "Ah. Yes. The New York millionaires." Norman said to him looking away from the two. "They disinherited me when they found out I was in love with Jesse." Andrew said to him. "Andrew, do you know how I became successful in life?" Norman asks Andrew looking back at him. "By working very hard. And by doing due diligence." Norman said to him. "Okay, what are you saying?" Andrew asks him with a smile while Jesse looks up at Andrew. "I'm saying that your name is not Andrew DeSilva." Norman said to Andrew whose smile goes away. "Oh, no." Jesse said to herself. "It's Andrew Cunanan." Norman said to Andrew who gives him a glare. "Who told you that? That's not true." Andrew said to Norman lying to him. "Two years ago, you were working in a Thrifty drugstore." Norman said to him. "That's not true." Andrew said to him looking away from Norman. "Earning $6 dollars and 16 cents an hour." Norman said to him making Andrew look at him. "That's-that's not true." Andrew said to him. "Living in a small condo with your mother, Mary Anne." Norman said to him making Andrew walk away. "Andrew." Jesse said following Andrew. 

Jesse enters her and Andrew's room to see Andrew on the balcony. Jesse walks onto the balcony and she stands next to Andrew. "You okay?" Jesse asks him looking at Andrew. "Leave me alone." Andrew said to her making Jesse nod as Norman walks onto the balcony. "Andrew." Norman calls Andrew while Jesse sits down on a chair. "You investigated me?" Andrew asks him turning to Norman mad. "You investigated me. We didn't meet by chance, did we? You knew which books I liked, which music. You researched me, and you pursued me. You're not my prisoner. You're not even my partner anymore." Norman said to him while Jesse watches the two. "If you give me everything on that list, you can have whatever you want from me." Andrew said to him being very serious. "Andrew, I will increase your living allowance. God knows you have no savings, because every dollar I give you, you spend on other people. But as far as the first-class flights, no. I'll pay for you to return to college and to finish your degree." Norman said to him making Jesse look at Norman. "I know that Jesse finish school and she has a degree." Norman said to Andrew as he looks at Jesse. "I already have a PhD." Andrew said to him making Norman look at him. "No, you do not have a PhD. You started a history major at UCSD, and you quit after a year." Norman said to him. "I'm not going back to school! It's-it's insulting!" Andrew yelled at him as he walks over to the glass table. "What is it about having an education and the idea of work that you find so insulting?" Norman asks him. "It's ordinary!" Andrew yelled at him while Jesse mouths it. "Andrew, you're smart. But being smart is useless unless it's in the service of something." Norman said to him making Andrew walk closer to him. "I want that list. Or I'm leaving." Andrew said to him making Norman sigh and looks at Jesse. "You've made a beautiful home." Norman said to him as he turns to Andrew. "I want you to be happy. I really do. And I don't mind that you tell a few lies to smooth over the discomfort of this arrangement. Hell, I-I can allow you all of the lies that you want. Except for one, that I'm a fool." Norman said to him. "Do you get that I probably will lose the love of my life if we leave?" Andrew asks him making Jesse look at him before Jesse can say something Norman talks. "Tell me something. If I make you my heir, would you still want me around? Or have you already started dreaming of the day that I'm not here? You can have this life." Norman said to Andrew who looks down at his foot. "You can have it for yourself and share this with Jesse. If you work for it. But if you don't, you must share it with me. There is no third way." Norman said to him making Andrew look up at him. "If I can't have love, I want that list." Andrew said to Norman as he walks closer to Norman making Jesse stand up. "Andrew." Jesse said to him making Andrew look at her. "Shut up, Jesse." Andrew said to her making Jesse look at Andrew with a surprised look. "So is it a yes or a no?" Andrew asks Norman as he looks at Norman. "No." Norman said to him. "Fine." Andrew said to him and he walks over to Jesse but stops and he runs over to the glass table. Andrew picks up a chair and smashes the glass table with it. "Andrew." Jesse said to him as Andrew walks over to Jesse. "We are leaving. I expect you to call." Andrew said to Norman and he takes Jesse's hand and he pulls Jesse off the balcony.

Things are spiraling into madness. 

Jesse exits the taxi and she looks at the hotel that Andrew found for them to stay in. Jesse turns to see Andrew with their bags walking over to her. "Let's go." Andrew said to her and the two walked into the building. Jesse opens her and Andrew's room to see it was small but it was fine for the two of them. Jesse sits on the bed while Andrew looks around the room. "You okay, Andrew?" Jesse asks him. "I'm fine." Andrew said to her making Jesse cross her arms. "You yelled at me." Jesse said to him making Andrew look at her while walking over to her. Jesse watches as Andrew gets down on his knees down in front of her. "I'm sorry, I was so mad." Andrew said to her making Jesse nod. "Okay, you are free now." Jesse said to him making Andrew smile at her and he leans up giving Jesse a quick kiss. 

Later that night, Jesse was laying on the bed sleeping while Andrew was watching over her until there was a knock on the door. Andrew looks at the door and then back at Jesse, Andrew kisses her cheek before walking over to the door. Andrew opens it to see Jeff standing there. "Hi." Andrew greets him. "Can I come in?" Jeff asks him. "Sure. Sure." Andrew said to him making Jeff walk in and he sees Jesse sleeping on the bed. "Let's talk in the kitchen." Andrew said to him and Jeff follows Andrew to the kitchen. "I heard about Norman." Jeff said to Andrew when the two were in the kitchen. "Oh, he'll come around." Andrew said to him with a little smile. "You two had a good thing there." Jeff said to him making Andrew nod. "Did you send my dad a postcard?" Jeff asks him making Andrew give him a look. "What?" Andrew said to him. "To my home address in DeKalb, Illinois. Addressed to Stan Trail. You signed the postcard "Love, Drew." You don't remember that?" Jeff asks him. "Uh, I-I...I remember sending a postcard. I..." Andrew said and Jeff cuts him off. "My dad called me asking who you were, why you signed a postcard "Love, Drew," and why I'm buying you expensive shoes." Jeff said to him making Andrew nod. "How funny. What did you tell him?" Andrew asks him. "Did you do it deliberately?" Jeff asks him as he walks closer to Andrew. "What, send your dad a postcard?" Andrew asks him. "Kind of felt like a threat." Jeff said to him. "A threat? It was a mistake." Andrew said to him making Jeff madder. "You're lying. You want to tell my parents I'm gay? Is that it?" Jeff asks him. "Why would I want to tell your parents that you're gay? They probably just assumed that you gave up your great naval career to be a fag." Andrew said to him making Jeff grab Andrew's shirt and pushes him into the wall. "Stay away from my family! Don't talk to them, don't write them, don't call them! Do you understand?!" Jeff yelled at him. "STOP IT!" Jeff hears someone making him turn to see Jesse standing by the kitchen's doorway. "I'm sorry." Jeff said letting go of Andrew. "I never thought that you were capable of being violent. Ever. Certainly not towards me." Andrew said to him while Jesse walks over to Andrew. "I'm fine." Andrew said to Jesse as he hugs her. "I'm leaving San Diego." Jeff said making the two look at him. "I got a job at a propane gas company that hires ex-military." Jeff said to them. "A propane gas company?" Jesse asks him. "In Minneapolis." Jeff said to them. "David?" Jesse asks him. "It's not 'cause of David." Jeff said to her. "Mm, just by chance then. Is that it? Just a random pin that you put on a map? You just pulled the letter "M" out of a Scrabble bag and thought to yourself, "Oh, well, it's, "well, it's either gonna be Memphis or...Minneapolis." Andrew said to him. "David told me about the company, but he's not the reason I'm..." Jeff said to him making Andrew walk away from Jesse. "Jeff, the guys you've had, the-the guys that I found for you, and you are trying to steal the one guy... the only guy... that really likes me!" Andrew yelled at him. "I'm moving for a job, okay? I'm moving because it breaks my heart every time I pass the harbor and see a naval ship. I'm moving because I'm unhappy, and I'm tired of being unhappy." Jeff said to him and he walks closer to Andrew. "I'm leaving. I thought you should know." Jeff said to him and he walks over to Jesse. "You stay away from her. I'm warning you." Andrew said to him in a mad voice. "If you need anything, Jess. Call me." Jeff said to her before Jesse can answer him Andrew yells at Jeff. "Stay away from her!" Andrew yelled at him making Jesse walk over to Andrew. "Andrew, it's okay." Jesse said to him making Andrew put his arms around Jesse hugging her while Jeff leaves the room.