Lie Bigger Than Ever

1971

A Few Days Later

Andrew and Jesse were on the breath going to meet Norman who wanted to talk to them. 

Jesse and Andrew walk over to Norman hand in hand as they see the guy looking at the waves. "I want to show you something. I'm gonna make a donation. I had a plaque made with Lincoln's name on it to put on the back of one of the seats. I want to show it to you." Norman said to them as he hands the plaque to Andrew. "I think he would've liked it very much." Andrew said to him and he hands the plaque back to Norman. "Would he? I rather suspect he would've called me a sentimental old fool." Norman said to them with a little laugh. "They found the killer." Jesse said making Norman look at her. "He's in custody. His name's Kevin Bond. He called from a hospital in Utah, and he confessed to the murder." Jesse said to him. "And what do the police say?" Norman asks her. "When Lincoln tried to kiss him, Kevin snapped and lost control." Jesse said to him. "Ah. And no doubt, the police considered that defense understandable." Norman said to them. "Mm-hmm. They say that he...he lacked the self-discipline to simply leave the house when he was put into an uncomfortable position." Andrew said to him while Andrew puts his arm around Jesse. "This surprises you? I've been living through this my whole life. We fall sick, it's our fault. We're murdered, it's our fault. You can rob us, you can beat us, you can kill us, you'll get away with it." Norman said to the two making Andrew nod agreeing while Jesse looks at the waves. "You can just move." Andrew said to him making Norman look at him. "Andrew, I-I can't just move. I've lived in Phoenix for a long time." Norman said to him. "It's your old life." Andrew said to him. "And my new life?" Norman asks him making Jesse look at him. "Make a home. You could be happy." Jesse said to him making Norman think about it. "And if you want we can live with you, we will be roommates." Jesse said to him making Norman smile at her. "Let me think about it." Norman said to them with a smile and the three walked down the beach sand. "In high school, I had this best friend, Mary. Everyone was so cruel to her. I can't even remember why." Andrew said making Jesse look at Andrew knowing it was her story but Andrew change it a little. "But I used to find her crying all the time. And one day, she-she just couldn't take it anymore. She was suicidal, she-she tried to...kill herself, and she'd cut her wrists, and showed me the scars. So I took her hands and I told her, I don't want you to worry about a thing. Because one day, I'm going to be rich, I'm going to be successful, and I'm going to buy a beautiful house for you to live in. And no one's ever going to be mean to you again. You could be happy there, be safe." Andrew said to Norman while Jesse was nodding a little at Andrew's story. "Norman, I can make that home for you. I can make that dream for you." Andrew said to him making Norman smile. Jesse leans over to Andrew's ear making him look at her. "That story sounds like mine." Jesse said to him. "Shhhh." Andrew said to her and he kisses Jesse's cheek.

At Mary Ann's House

Andrew was putting his clothes away into bags while Jesse was at her mom's to get her clothes. 

"Traveling around the world with Signore Versace." Mary said to Andrew with a chuckle. "I met him in San Francisco, remember? We've stayed in touch; we have dinner once a year. Anyway, he's asked me to join him and Jesse is joining me." Andrew said to her with a smile. "How amazing." Mary said and she walks over to Andrew's clothes. "Paris, Milan, London, Tokyo. Anywhere there's, uh, an opera house." Andrew said to his mom who walks over to him. "I've always wanted to go to Paris." Mary said to him. "Well, we'll send you a postcard." The two hear Jesse making Andrew turn to see Jesse with her bags. "Hey, babe." Andrew said to her as Jesse walks over to Andrew who kisses Jesse's cheek. "I thought I was coming with you." Mary said making Andrew look at her while Jesse sits down on Andrew's bed. "What?" Andrew asks her. "Well, you said I could come." Mary said to him. "Mom." Andrew said to her. "Well, I have to come with you. I can't afford this apartment on my own." Mary said to him making Jesse very bad for her. "Well, I'll send you some money." Andrew said to her. "But you promised." Mary said to him making Andrew look into his mom's eyes. "I can't take you with me." Andrew said to her. "Well, I'm not gonna be any trouble. Uh... I-I'll make your bed, and I-I'll do your washing, and I'll even pack for you, and you don't have to call me Mom." Mary said to him. "I-I don't, I don't need anybody to make my bed, Mom. I-I'll be staying in hotels." Andrew said to her as he looks over at Jesse. "Well, whatever you need then. You just...you say what it is, and I'll do it. I'll do anything, just, uh...don't leave me here alone. Not all alone." Mary said to him while Jesse watched heartbreak to watch Mary beg Andrew to take her with them. "Stop, stop. What are you doing?" Andrew said breaking Jesse out of her train of thought to see Mary with a hand full of Andrew's shirts. "Let me talk to Signor Versace." Mary said to Andrew while she puts the shirts in the bag. "Just stop. I can..." Andrew said to her making Jesse walk over to Andrew seeing he was losing it. "He'll understand." Mary said to Andrew while Jesse rubs Andrew's back. "I'm fine." Andrew said to Jesse. "He's Italian and I'm Italian. He understands family, yeah? Let me talk to him and..." Mary said to him. "No, you're not gonna talk to anybody..." Andrew said to her while he sits Jesse down in front of him. "Well, just a few minutes of his time, Andrew. Huh? He's understanding, he's a kind man, he's a decent man, he's a good man." Mary said to Andrew who looks at her and then back at Jesse. "And if he says no, well, then, of course, I'll understand, but you need to let me try." Mary said to him while Andrew moves Jesse's hair out of her face. "Why not let me try?!" Mary yelled at him. "No! Stop it!" Andrew yelled at her and he pushes Mary into the wall. Jesse runs over to Mary as she starts crying. "It's going to be okay." Jesse said to her then Jesse looks over at Andrew, who was shocked at what he did.

In The Hospital

Jesse, Andrew, and Mary were waiting for the doctor to arrive. Andrew grabs Jesse's hand making her look at him. "I didn't mean to." Andrew said to her. "I know." Jesse said to him and she kisses Andrew's cheek. The door opens and a doctor walks into the room with some x-rays. "Your shoulder blade is fractured, Ms. Cunanan. It's a very serious injury." The Doctor said to Mary who was staring at her foot. "Can I ask...how this happened?" The doctor asks Mary making Andrew hold onto Jesse's hand tightly. "It was an accident. My son found me." Mary said to her making Andrew cry a little. "He called the ambulance. He's a good boy. He's always been a good boy." Mary said to her making Andrew put his head on Jesse's shoulder and he starts crying as Jesse holds him. 

Several days later

Andrew and Jesse built Norman's dream house.

Andrew walks out of the building with some papers. "Be very careful with that." Andrew said to a worker who had a glass table. Andrew then turns to see Jesse walking into the building looking at something. Andrew walks into the building and walks over to Jesse who was looking out the window. "You like it?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at him. "It's very big." Jesse said to him while Andrew puts his arm around her. "I am gonna make this the most beautiful home you have ever lived in." Andrew said to her and he kisses Jesse's cheek. "We'll be very happy here." Andrew said to her making Jesse look at him. "Let me show you the terrace." Andrew said to her and he takes Jesse's hand.

On the terrace, Jesse and Andrew walk onto the terrane and Jesse can see the pool. "Oh, if they could see me now." Andrew said to Jesse who looks at him. "Who?" Jesse asks him. "Everyone." Andrew said to her as he watches the sunset with Jesse.