The Solider

November 1995

Two Years Before Jeff Trail's Murder

At A Bar

Andrew was sitting at the bar watching Jesse who was working as a waiter. Andrew smiles as Jesse walks over to him handing Andrew his beer. "And a beer for you." Jesse said to him with a smile. "Thanks, love." Andrew said to her and the two share a kiss. After the kiss, Andrew kisses Jesse's cheek and Jesse walks over to another guy who had just entered and he sits at the bar. "What can I get you?" Jesse asks him making the guy look at her. "A beer, please." He said to her making her nod. "Sure, what's your name?" Jesse asks him with a smile as she gets the beer. "Jeff." Jesse looks at him and she sees the soldier tattoo. "Are you a soldier?" Jesse asks as she hands him the beer while Andrew walks up to them. "Yes." Jeff said to her making Jesse smile. "Wow, a soldier boy." Jesse said to him with a smile making Jeff smile at her. "First time?" Andrew asks him making Jeff look at him. "He was talking about going to a bar." Jesse said to Jeff while she cleans the table. "That obvious, huh?" Jeff asks them making the two nod a little. "There were a few clues." Jesse said to him with a smile. "I don't know what I'm doing here." Jeff said to them while he chuckles. "You just knew that you needed to be here?" Andrew asks him making Jeff nod a little. "I guess so." Jeff said to him. "Well, I'm going to have to insist that you have a much, much better evening than that." Jesse said to him making Jeff look at her with a smile. "Is that so?" Jeff asks her making Jesse nod. "This guy with the nard glasses is Andrew." Jesse said to him making Jeff look at Andrew. "Jeff." Jeff said to him making Andrew nod and he looks at Jesse. "And babe I am not a nard." Andrew said to her making Jesse smile at him. "Speak for yourself." Jesse said to him and she walks away from the two to work.

Later in the bar, Andrew was talking with Jeff while Jesse was working her last few minutes. "Wait, wait a second, this is your first time in any gay bar? Ever?" Andrew asks Jeff who nods a little. "Uh...What if I said yes? And I didn't even know this was a gay bar." Jeff said to him. "Well, I-I'd be duty bound to inform Jesse immediately. You know that they keep a supply of indoor fireworks for occasions just like this. They cover the entire bar with sparklers and fireworks..." Andrew said to him making Jeff cut him off. "Oh, no, no, no, that's not necessary." Jeff said to him. "Oh, no, no, no, it's wonderful. It's a whole thing. They-they spells out your name in a, in a shower of yellow sparks." Andrew said to him. "You're joking?" Jeff asks him as Jesse walks over to them. "Oh, my God. You're too cute." Jesse said to him after hearing what he said. "You're too cute!" Jesse yelled at him as she takes the empty bottles. "Okay. Well, thank you." Jeff said to her making Jesse look at him. "You are welcome." Jesse said to him with a smile and she looks at Andrew who gives her a smile. Andrew leans up and gives Jesse a quick kiss and she walks away from them. "I might not have tried again for another five years." Jeff said to him making Andrew look at him. "Oh, it's...it's my honor. Really. I feel like I'm part of your history. You're gonna remember this moment." Andrew said to him. "Yes, I will." Jeff said to him with a smile. "Can I ask?" Andrew asks Jeff while Jesse walks by to the table. "Oof, that question makes me nervous." Jeff said to him while Jesse sits down on Andrew's lap. "Are you military?" Andrew asks him while he puts his arm around Jesse. "Yeah." Jeff said to him. "Must be hard." Jesse said to him making Jeff nod at her. "Yeah." Jeff said to her with a sad face. "Rules require me to purchase you drinks for the rest of the evening." Jesse said while standing up making Jeff smile at her. "And no more, no more beer." Andrew said to him making Jeff look at him. "Please, no. Put your money away." Andrew said to Jeff as he stands up. "Stay with him, babe." Andrew said to Jesse as he walks to the bar while Jesse sits down in front of Jeff who smiles at her.

The Next Day At The Bar

Andrew, Jesse, and Jeff were sitting at the bat drinking. "Wait, so CBS News wants to interview you?" Andrew asks Jeff who nods. "H-How does that, uh, happen?" Jesse asks Jeff while she leans onto Andrew. "They canvassed the base. They're interviewing straight soldiers. They want to hear from the other side." Jeff said to the two who nod. "Are you crazy? They'll kick you out." Andrew said to him while Jesse hugs Andrew's arm. "I'll be in shadow. No one will see my face." Jeff said to him. "How humiliating. All the straight soldiers, the ones saying, "No fag in the military," they get to be out in the open, right? With their uniforms on. Looking dignified." Jesse said to Jeff who nods. "Yes." Jeff said to her. "And you, you get to be in the shadows, with your voice distorted like a criminal." Andrew said to him making Jeff nod. "Yeah." Jeff said to him making Andrew sigh. "The Navy, th-they are going to witch-hunt you, Jeff. For sure, it doesn't matter what you do, it doesn't matter what precautions you take." Andrew said to him while he puts his arm around Jesse. "You wouldn't do it?" Jeff asks him making Andrew think about it. "No. Who cares what you have to say? You're not a general. You're not a war hero. You're-you're not famous." Andrew said to Jeff making Jesse lean closer to Andrew's ear. "He is an officer in the Navy." Jesse said to him making Andrew look at her. "It's not gonna...nothing's gonna change." Andrew said to her. "I can't explain it. It's something I need to do. I can't explain it any better than that." Jeff said to them making Andrew drink his water.

The next day at a hotel, Jesse was with Jeff in his car. Jeff stops his car at the hotel then he looks at Jesse. "Are you sure Andrew will be okay with this?" Jeff asks her making Jesse look at him. "Andrew is my boyfriend, not my mom." Jesse said to him with a smile and she takes Jeff's glasses and she puts it on. "Let's go." Jesse said and she gets out of the car with Jeff following her. Jeff and Jesse walk up to a room and Jeff knocks on the door. Jesse hugs Jeff's arm making him look at her. Jeff smiles at her thinking Jesse was so nice to anyone she meets. The door opens and the two walk into the room. "Mr. Trail." Richard said as Jeff looks at him. "Hi." Jeff said to him with a smile while Jesse rubs Jeff's back. "Thanks for doing this. Come on, have a seat." Richard said to Jeff who looks at Jesse who gives him a smile. Jesse leans up and she kisses Jeff's cheek making him turn red. "That is for good luck. Don't tell Andrew." Jesse said to him making Jeff laugh a little. Jesse walks over to the wall while Jeff sits down. "All we'll see is your outline against the backdrop." Richard said to Jeff while Jesse leans on the wall. "And the military police can't force you to tell them who I am?" Jeff asks him. "I-I'd never reveal my sources." Richard said to him making Jeff look at Jesse who gives him a smile. "On December the Department of Defense, under orders from President Bill Clinton, issued Directive 13.04.26. known as "Don't ask, don't tell," defined as prohibiting homosexual conduct. As a gay man serving in the armed forces, how important is life in the military to you?" Richard asks Jeff who thinks about an answer. "It's all I've ever done. It's all I've ever dreamed of doing, ever since I was a child. Um...it's my life. That's the only way I can say it. It's...it's my life." Jeff said to him while Jesse nods a little. "Are there gay soldiers currently serving who are open about their sexuality?" Richard asks him. "The majority of gays in the military are closeted and will always be closeted." Jeff said to him making Jesse look at Jeff. "What about you?" Richard asks Jeff. "I can't help the feeling that, by talking to you, it's the end of my career. But, honestly, maybe my career died a long time ago. Because...they know. They have never promoted me. I'm a good sailor, but...I'm a good sailor going nowhere because they know." Jeff said to him. "How do they know?" Richard asks him. "I saved a sailor's life once. He was being beaten to death for being gay. And if I hadn't have been there, if I hadn't have stopped them, no one would ever have suspected me. I did a good thing, the bravest thing I've ever done...and I can't tell you how many times I've dreamt about taking that moment back...and letting him die. Just so that people wouldn't know about me." Jeff said to Richard and he looks at Jesse who gives him a smile.