46

By the end of the time he finished telling me what had actually occurred the night we met, I was actually crying

By the end of the time he finished telling me what had actually occurred the night we met, I was actually crying. I couldn't help it as I felt the warm tears trailing down my cheeks.

I wanted to ugly cry right now but I was trying to hold myself together for him. This changed everything. How could I not have known? I should have known.

Instead of running my mouth all the time, I should have payed more attention and listened to him. He was right, the world didn't revolve around me and I should've let him speak more. Maybe then he would have felt more comfortable about telling me.

"You know I love you right? I swear I really do." I nod and lean my head against his chest as I hug him again.

He doesn't wrap his arms around me like he usually does which makes me look up at him. He was just staring ahead as if he was lost in thought.

I turn around to see Duke standing by the door. I couldn't read what he was thinking as he stared at Heath but once he saw us looking at him he entered the room.

"I heard yelling." He explains, not moving his eyes away from Heath.

Duke finally looks down and I pull away from Heaths arms, quickly taking this chance to wipe away my tears. Duke rubs his forehead in stress as he looks back at him.

"Remember in high school when I found out you were living in your car? I offered you a place to live and I thought okay maybe now that means he can trust me." His voice holds some frustration but he tries to keep his tone down.

"That moment, I thought we were getting closer and that you actually trusted me. I helped you then and I'm still helping you now."

"What? Were you just gonna leave me and not even tell me why? That's fucking selfish." He spits out angrily. I could tell he was hurt by the look on his face.

Heath looks away before Duke gets his attention again.

"You said you didn't have anyone. But what about me? I was still there and I still am. I can't believe you would just leave me. And without giving any explanation. I thought of you as my brother."

"What, did you think I wasn't gonna be hurt if you were gone?!? Well you're wrong because I would have probably cried my ass to sleep every night. I can't believe this." He shakes his head as he takes a deep breath.

I let him have his moment because he was right to feel hurt. Heath was his best friend, this affected him too. Maybe more than me because of their relationship. But I felt like I've known Heath forever, it causes me physical pain to even know that at some point he'd want to hurt himself.

"I know." Heath says, looking at him.

"You don't know shit. You never even once acknowledged my help. Do you even like me? Because now you have me rethinking this whole friendship." Duke expresses angrily, throwing his arms up.