Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Vince:

Come on Liz, pick up the phone.

"Hello?" At last, she did.

"And why are you not answering your phone? I've been calling you for the hundredth time." I hope I made it obvious to her that I was impatient.

But as usual, she remained calm. "You're exaggerating. What now?"

"What do you mean 'what now?' Where the hell are you? You're 15 minutes late for god's sake."

"I'm here at the bookstore at the central mall. I'm trying to--"

"What?! You still have time for your books? Why don't you just come here?" I said, cutting her sentence.

"Shut up. I need a map. How am I supposed to know where that stupid park is?"

Before I could answer, she hung up. Is that really a lady I asked out? She acts like not one. Sigh.

Elaine came from my back. "So, where's she?"

I knew it. She's starting. "At the central mall. Buying something. But she'll be here in a minute."

"Oh, I see." I released a sigh, and then she talked again. "Wait, why don't we just meet her up at the mall? Besides, there's a movie I want to watch. We could also grab some dinner together."

Kevin, Elaine's date, who is as appealing as always (to girls, of course), butt in. "That would be great. Don't you think Vince?"

As if I have a choice. "Yeah. I'll text her."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 After, let's say, around 20 minutes, we arrived at the central mall and headed straight to the cinema lobby. With the crowd, I can't find Liz. Did she go home already?

I was looking around, my head turning left and right, trying to look for her. But she's nowhere to be found. Heck. Where could that girl be?

I was about to give up when Kevin stood up the couch with his eyes set in awe and his mouth dropped to the floor."Whoa" he said.

I turned; wanting to find out what it is that he saw. In my surprise, I saw a stunningly beautiful lady dressed in a light yellow knee-length dress. Her lips were pink as tulips and her eyes, breath-taking. She's a total head turn. As Kevin and I stare insanely at the goddess, I mean, lady, I noticed that she was heading towards us. And in my surprise, she talked to me.

"You're late." she said, maintaining an eye contact with me.

Kevin, quite surprised that the lady spoke to me, said, "Is she your date Vince?"

The words from Kevin's mouth sink in my brain slowly, and processed more slowly. Wait. This can't be Liz. But, who is she if she's not her? Before I could speak, the lady answered him back. "Well, unfortunately…yes. I'm his...date, if that's what you call it."

My eyes widened, my heart thumped. Is this really....her? I looked at her intently and examined her face."Liz?"

She faced me, with an eyebrow raised. "What? Don't look at me like that. Disgusting."

"I didn’t know you had a friend as beautiful as her." Kevin said.

Elaine, feeling that she's little by little out of the scene butt in, "But not as beautiful as me, right Vince?" Before I could answer, she walked towards the cinema entrance. "Let's go" she said, "I don't want to watch the last full show at midnight."

"Right." I affirmed, and then we went to the movie world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liz:

At last, the stupid movie was over. Romantic comedies really piss me off.

We, or rather they, decided to have dinner at Elaine’s favorite restaurant. The place was good, the food was great, soothing ambiance, and relaxing music. Minus the three of them, I'm referring to Jerk, Elaine and the other guy, Kevin, the night would be perfect.

I was sitting next to Jerk and the other two in front of us. After eating, they decided to stay for a bit and have some talk. Of course I'm not interested; I just came here for the book.

I noticed that this guy, Kevin, kept on looking at me. In the middle of their conversation, he asked me. "So, how long have you been dating Vince?"

I was planning to ignore him but instead I answered, "This is the first…and hopefully there'll be no second."

They laughed and Jerk defended, "She's quite a joker sometimes. Aren't you Liz?" He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and moved his lips to my ear. "Don't try to be funny Liz." And he laughed again.

Then the chatting went on and I am non-existent. The longer we stay, the more bored I become.

Finally, Elaine stood up, followed by Kevin. Elaine suggested that we should all go home. The best words I've heard from her. We are about to stand up when I held Vince back and pulled him to sit.

Flashing my most warm smile I said, "You two should go first. Vince and I need to talk for a while."

Hesitant, they agreed.

Vince turned to me, "What is it? I thought you wanted to leave."

"Not without my book. Give it back."

After hearing those words, he suddenly became pale. He was about to answer when his phone rang. He excused himself, stood up and left.

Right, I'll kill him when he comes back.

Vince:

"WHAT?! You've got to be kidding me dad. I definitely won't--"

"See you tomorrow son. Bye."

Call ended.

Crap. What's with you Dad? What am I going to do now? Liz! Right Liz!

I ran inside the resto where I left her. And there she was obviously bored...and mad.

"This is too much. Now give me my---"

"Please be my girlfriend" 

She was undeniably surprised with what I said.

"Quit playing games with me Jerk. Give my book back, I want to go home."

"No, I'm not playing games with you. I mean it."

She just stared and raised an eyebrow to me, waiting for an explanation.

Her stares gave chills to my bones, scary chills that I voluntarily explained. "My dad, he called."

"And?"

"He wants me to have lunch with him--"

"And why does it have to do something with me?"

"--and talk about my engagement. Please Liz; you're the only one who can help me."

"You want me to kill your dad?"

"No, not that way. Just pretend to be my girlfriend, and he'll cancel everything."

"And why me? Why not Elaine? Or some other girls out there?"

"Because you're the only girl I knew that wouldn't fall for me."

"At least you know."

"So?"

"No. I won't. What makes you think I'll do another favor for you?"

"Because I still have your book?" A smirk was then painted on my face. I knew she would do it. You lose Liz. "So, I'll pick you up tomorrow?"

"Curse you Jerk. After tomorrow, give me my book and get lost. Understand?"

"Aye-aye Captain!"