Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Liz:

I was sitting cautiously so as to not wrinkle the peach-colored dress my Mom personally designed for this ‘special’ event, as they say. Sigh. This is it. After this day, I’ll be his fiancé.

The black Limo brought me to the place – a very simple yet opulent hotel. Everything was perfect and magical – the flowers, the drapes, the table setting, the view – except for the fact that you’ll be sharing this with someone you don’t love. Someone you barely know.

I stepped out of the Limo and went inside the venue. I was escorted by my father who was waiting for me at the entrance.

“You look lovely, sweetie.” my Dad complimented. “But…there’s just a small thing missing.”

I looked at myself and examined every detail of what I’m wearing. I have everything Mom told me to – accessories, make-up, everything. I confusedly looked at my Dad who seems to be examining me.

“You forgot to wear your…” Dad continued “…your smile.”

My heart thawed after hearing those words from my father. He’s always like that. He would exchange everything just to see me smile. I’m sorry Dad. I promise you I’ll be happy.

I forced a smile and held my Dad’s hand. “I’m sorry. I’m a bit nervous.”

“That’s okay sweetie.” Giving me a slight hug he added “I also felt the same before with your Mom.” He smiled. “Let’s go. He’s probably waiting for you now.”

I nodded. We walked towards the room and I was fascinated by how the place was furnished. As soon as Dad opened the door, my jaw dropped to see the multitude of people inside. Heads turn as I walk towards the table where Vince, his family and my mom are waiting for me.

As I reach the table, mom gave me a kiss on the cheek. Vince pulled out a chair for me, trying to be a gentleman. Right, we have to act like real couples just as we’ve done during the past few days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the ceremony ended. I am now officially Vince’s fiancé and the alexandrite ring I’m wearing proves it. Because of the tons of people inside the room, I have to step out to catch some air. There was a nice garden here, with a small pond.

I sighed to myself. The engagement party was more of a press conference rather than a ceremony. The members of the media are there – reporters, cameramen, photographers. They see our engagement as a union of two powerful tycoons (the Coaxes and the Van Hossens) than a union of two hearts.

I remember one of the reporters asking, “Is this engagement just a means for the two business icons to join forces?”

I really want to cut that ludicrous reporter’s head. But I have to act serenely to not humiliate myself and my family. Instead, I smiled and put an arm on Vince’s waist and said, “Oh that’s certainly not true. Vince and I are deeply in love, right honey?”

Vince, who is obviously stunned by my sudden action, responded by putting his arm on my shoulder and gave me a kiss on the forehead. “Right. This girl, I love her even without knowing her family background.”

They seem satisfied with our answer and are convinced with our acting. Oh my, we have to keep pretending. Sigh.

I was walking around the place, holding a glass of iced tea in my hand, when someone appeared in front of me.