Chapter 35

I don't have much to say. LOL!

Just breathe and enjoy! :)

Chapter 35

Liz:

I woke up early in the morning and saw the most unexpected person in the kitchen – Vince. From my point of view, I can say that he’s cooking, or at least trying to cook. And that…is very unusual.

When I took a closer look, I saw the bigger picture. This was not his first time. From the way how the kitchen looked – all the mess and stuff – I am certain that he’s been here for quite…a while.

Maddie stepped out from behind. When I caught her eye, I immediately asked her.

“How long has he been doing this?”

“Since two in the morning.”

My eyes widened in disbelief.“Two in the morning?! You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Maddie looked at me and nodded slightly as if telling that, ‘Yea, I know. Unbelievable.’

“Seriously?”

She nodded again. “He even woke me up to teach him. And there he is – not yet done.”

Maddie looked at Vince while he was busy staring into the flames of the stove. I followed her gaze too.

“What’s he doing anyway?” I asked, still looking at him.

“Making a vegetable soup for Madame Coax.”

I simply nodded as we watch him. My gaze shifted to the grocery bags Maddie is holding. “What’s that?”

“Oh these?” She looked at the bags as well. “Vegetables. Sir Vince kind of failed his earlier attempts and used up all our stock of vegetables.”

“Maddie? Is that – Oh, Liz.” Maddie and I turned and saw Vince looking at us.

Maddie immediately ran to him. “I’m sorry. Here’s your vegetables.”

“It’s okay.” He replied, still looking at me.

I walked up to him and gave a weak smile. “Good morning.”

“Good morning.” He replied with the same weak smile. “I’m – uh – I’m making a soup for Grandma.”

“Maddie told me.” I said. I noticed that his fingers were covered with Band-aids. “What happened?” I asked, pointing my nose to his fingers.

“Oh – “ he said, looking at his fingers. “Just some cuts and burns. It’s nothing.” He said.

“You must be trying your best.”

“Yeah. It’s for Grandma – that’s why.” He paused. “But I just can’t seem to get it. I’ve been trying but, I always fail. It doesn’t taste good.”

I let out a small chuckle. “Of course, it doesn’t taste good. You don’t know how to cook.”

“At least I’m trying.” He replied, with a laugh. It felt good to hear him laugh again – though it was just brief. It felt like ages since I heard him laugh.

I took a step beside him. “Would you mind if I help?”

He shook his head. “No, not at all. Just do what I say so you won’t mess up.”

I snorted. “Look who’s talking.”

“Come on, Liz. I know you don’t cook either.”

Then we both shared a laugh.